Solving for Rita's Salary Using Proportions

In summary, Rita earns $1350 while Vickey earns $450. Rita saves 4/9 of her salary and spends 5/9 of it while Vickey saves 1/6 of her salary and spends 5/6 of it. Rita spends twice as much as Vickey.
wailingkoh
View attachment 4615View attachment 4616

Hi all
1st Question
V earns \$900 less than R.
R saves 1/6 of her \$ and V saves 4/9 of hers.
Both spend the rest.
How much Rita earns?

Attempted these 2 questions but feels that they are still incorrect. Please assist. Thank you :)

Attachments

• p1_opt.png
    p1_opt.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 78
  • p2_opt-2.png
    p2_opt-2.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 78
Mathematics news on Phys.org
wailingkoh said:
1st Question
V earns \$900 less than R.
R saves 1/6 of her \$ and V saves 4/9 of hers.
Both spend the rest.
How much Rita earns?

Judging by the first posted image, which is nearly impossible to read, you have left out some information here.

I recommend typing out the entire question, along your work so we can easily read it. Most people are not going to attempt to help if it is a struggle to do so. I'm not trying to be harsh, just honest. :D

MarkFL said:
Judging by the first posted image, which is nearly impossible to read, you have left out some information here.

I recommend typing out the entire question, along your work so we can easily read it. Most people are not going to attempt to help if it is a struggle to do so. I'm not trying to be harsh, just honest. :D

Hi
Thanks and I have typed out the question. :)

Vickb earns $900 less than Rita. Vickey saves 1/6 of her salary while Rita saves 4/9 of hers. Both spent the rest the their money. Rita spent twice as much than Vickey How much did Rita earned?

wailingkoh said:
Hi
Thanks and I have typed out the question. :)

Vickb earns \$900 less than Rita. Vickey saves 1/6 of her salary while Rita saves 4/9 of hers. Both spent the rest the their money. Rita spent twice as much than Vickey How much did Rita earned?

Okay, we could label the amount Rita earned as $R$ and the amount Vickey earned as $V$ (both amounts in dollars). Now, can you express the following as an equation?

Vickey earns \$900 less than Rita.

MarkFL said:
Okay, we could label the amount Rita earned as $R$ and the amount Vickey earned as $V$ (both amounts in dollars). Now, can you express the following as an equation?

Vickey earns \$900 less than Rita.

I got Rita earning as$1350

wailingkoh said:
I got Rita earning as$1350

Rather than simply posting the end result, it would be better for you to show your work. That way we can check your work rather than having to work the problem ourselves to check your answer. :D

To answer my previous post, we could write:

\(\displaystyle V=R-900\)

Now, we are also told that Rita spends 5/9 of her salary while Vickey spends 5/6 of hers and that the amount spent by Rita is twice that spent by Vickey, and so we may write:

\(\displaystyle \frac{5}{9}R=2\cdot\frac{5}{6}V\)

\(\displaystyle R=3V=3(R-900)=3R-2700\)

\(\displaystyle 2R=2700\)

\(\displaystyle R=1350\,\checkmark\)

MarkFL said:
Rather than simply posting the end result, it would be better for you to show your work. That way we can check your work rather than having to work the problem ourselves to check your answer. :D

To answer my previous post, we could write:

\(\displaystyle V=R-900\)

Now, we are also told that Rita spends 5/9 of her salary while Vickey spends 5/6 of hers and that the amount spent by Rita is twice that spent by Vickey, and so we may write:

\(\displaystyle \frac{5}{9}R=2\cdot\frac{5}{6}V\)

\(\displaystyle R=3V=3(R-900)=3R-2700\)

\(\displaystyle 2R=2700\)

\(\displaystyle R=1350\,\checkmark\)

1. What is the process of problem solving?

The process of problem solving involves identifying a problem, analyzing its root causes, brainstorming potential solutions, evaluating those solutions, and implementing the best solution.

2. How do I improve my problem solving skills?

To improve problem solving skills, one can practice regularly, seek feedback and learn from past experiences, break down complex problems into smaller parts, and use different problem solving techniques such as brainstorming, cause and effect analysis, and decision making models.

3. What are some common obstacles in problem solving?

Some common obstacles in problem solving include a lack of information, biases and assumptions, limited resources, time constraints, and groupthink.

4. How can I apply problem solving to real-life situations?

To apply problem solving to real-life situations, one can start by identifying the problem and its root causes, brainstorming potential solutions, evaluating those solutions based on feasibility and effectiveness, and implementing the best solution. It is also important to continuously monitor and adapt the chosen solution as needed.

5. How can I teach problem solving to others?

To teach problem solving to others, it is important to first understand the individual's current problem solving skills and approach. Then, provide opportunities for practice, feedback, and reflection. Encourage the use of different problem solving techniques and provide real-life examples to help them understand the process better.