How can I efficiently solve physics problems while balancing my busy life?

In summary: Meeting people like this will really help you stay motivated. I would recommend meeting with a study group. Meeting people and having a group to work with is really important for staying motivated.
kq6up
The nice thing about self study is that I can put something away and
come back to it later if I feel like I am in over my head. I have
some thoughts about how to approach this, and I want to get your
input.

1. It is recommended that one spends 2 or 3 hours outside of class for
every hour of class instruction.

If I watch a 1 hour physics lecture on youtube, I am expecting the
problem set to take 2 to 3 hours. If I am taking longer than that, I
am either in over my head or just really inefficient at solving
problems.

If I am in over my head I have three options: a) go back and study
requisite materials. If I am having problems with the math, do more
math. If I am having problems with the underlying physics, do more
physics. b) Just plow through the problem set no matter how long it
takes. I am going to spend that much time on going back over old
materials anyways, so just gut through it. c) give up!

If I am just slow, I have three options a)Just practice more problems
and hope I will get faster with time. b) look into some resources and
strategies at improving math speed. c) give up!

2. How long should I actually spend on a problem before a) Posting
the question on the Physics Forum and fishing for hints. b) Just
caving and looking at the solution manual for the textbook. c) Just
skip to the next problem, and come back to it later after rereading
the chapter and finishing the rest of the problem set.

I really want to optimize the time I spend. Time is precious to me
since I have a small child, two teenagers, a wife, and a full time
job.

Thanks,
Chris Maness

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll give you my observations. Learning for me is a two phase process, the first phase is learning what in fact there is to learn while is second phase is learning it. At the start you don't know what it is that you are learning, it's words in a book. If you want to save time, you need to get picture quickly of what there is to learn and how it fits together.

I think videos are too slow for this purpose, instead look at the chapter names and look them up online, read the first 2 paragraphs for each. Then try to figure out how it fits together. What follows on from what, what is needed for what, etc. Also, flip through the chapters to get a very fleeting impression, how difficult is that chapter, what does it rely on, etc. Follow your interest: if a topic sounds interesting, read more about it, keep building the picture. I suppose you could have a how-it-fits-together understanding in about 3-4 hours.

Then break it up into sections or blocks and learn whole blocks at a time. Do all the questions, this actually saves time because you want be very efficient with questions. When you get through a block, write a summary about it. What's it about, what is important. 1-2 pages will do.

This should work pretty well. It has the advantage that if you only learn part of the subject, you'll know that part very well.

PS. How long should you take on a question? As long as it takes, don't chicken out. But some questions are not meant to be done manually, if you get one of those, move on rather than grinding through it. Also, if you finish a question and aren't happy with how you did it, find a better method. But, don't spend too long on proof questions. Spending more than say 3 minutes on a proof question is too long, it means you are unlikely to solve it.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Good point on the proof questions. I have noticed they either go quickly, or not at all.

Chris

@vrety, I am doing all of the problems for which I have an answer. I do not have all the answers for all of the questions, and I am afraid of doing problems wrong and propagating my misconceptions. Would that not be a concern if you have no way of checking all of your answers?

Thanks,
Chris Maness

Essentially you need to learn how to learn. Keep an open mind and always go back to the things that work well for ya, not to mention try new things that could work for ya. You will continually get better at learning as you go. As far as the method, that's up to you.

Also, it is essential to find yourself a study group while in school. A couple "chums" from your classes that you can sit down with here and there and go over theory and work problems with. Also, don't be afraid to talk with your upperclassmen. Most of them will give you old test papers from the same professor. You won't get the same test, but you will get a flavor for what the test might be like and how the prof goes about giving exams. It's not cheating, it's just smart.

@psparky The only problem is I am not currently enrolled. That is my plan, but I am reviewing for grad school. I am having a difficult time finding people to work with me.

Regards,
Chris Maness

kq6up said:
@vrety, I am doing all of the problems for which I have an answer. I do not have all the answers for all of the questions, and I am afraid of doing problems wrong and propagating my misconceptions. Would that not be a concern if you have no way of checking all of your answers?

Thanks,
Chris Maness

I still think it's worth doing the questions. It's good practice even if you don't have the answers.

Likes 1 person
kq6up said:
I am doing all of the problems for which I have an answer. I do not have all the answers for all of the questions, and I am afraid of doing problems wrong and propagating my misconceptions. Would that not be a concern if you have no way of checking all of your answers?

You need to learn how to check your own answers. Once you stop being a student, you won't be solving problems where the answers are already known in the back of the book!

If you leave the quantities as variables rather than substituting in numbers, you can check the dimensions of the answer are sensible. You can check special cases where some quantities are 0, or very small, or very big. You can check your answer changes in a common-sense way if quantities increase or decrease. Etc, etc ...

Those techniques can also help to figure out what you did wrong, if your answer is different from the "right" one.

kq6up said:
@psparky The only problem is I am not currently enrolled. That is my plan, but I am reviewing for grad school. I am having a difficult time finding people to work with me.

Regards,
Chris Maness

Ahhh...you do not mention this in your opening post. Perhaps explaining your questions more clearly would be a start!

Good news is you already know how to study. Congrats!

What's with all this preparation before masters? You go in on day one and you learn there like everyone else.

And like I often say on this site, I prefer PE over masters. Way less time and money to aqcuire along with higher pay down the road. Win, Win with P.E. in my opinion. Other's opinions will certainly vary.

@psparky I am reviewing because I graduated 15 years ago, and have been teaching at the high school level. Also, I don't feel like I learned all that much as a Junior or Senior. I felt lost most of the time. The community college didn't prepare me for the University math wise.

Chris Maness

kq6up said:
@psparky I am reviewing because I graduated 15 years ago, and have been teaching at the high school level. Also, I don't feel like I learned all that much as a Junior or Senior. I felt lost most of the time. The community college didn't prepare me for the University math wise.

Chris Maness

What degree did you graduate with? Bachelors of...?

What type of Master's degree are you trying to get? Masters of...?

1. What is the definition of problem solving strategies?

Problem solving strategies refer to a set of techniques or methods that are used to find solutions to difficult or complex problems. These strategies involve breaking down a problem into smaller, more manageable parts and using logical and creative thinking to reach a solution.

2. Why are problem solving strategies important?

Problem solving strategies are important because they help us to overcome challenges and find effective solutions to problems. They allow us to think critically and creatively, and to approach problems in a systematic and organized manner. These skills are valuable in all areas of life, from personal to professional.

3. What are some common problem solving strategies?

There are many different problem solving strategies, but some common ones include trial and error, brainstorming, breaking down the problem into smaller parts, using analogies or metaphors, and seeking help from others. Other strategies may involve using algorithms, heuristics, or decision trees.

4. How can problem solving strategies be applied in real life situations?

Problem solving strategies can be applied in a variety of real life situations, such as at work, in personal relationships, or in everyday tasks. For example, if you are faced with a difficult project at work, you can use problem solving strategies to break down the project into smaller tasks, brainstorm ideas, and come up with a plan to tackle the project effectively.

5. Can problem solving strategies be learned?

Yes, problem solving strategies can be learned and improved upon through practice and experience. By actively seeking out and solving problems, individuals can develop their problem solving skills and become more efficient and effective at finding solutions. Additionally, there are resources and courses available that can teach specific problem solving strategies and techniques.