1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem solving

1. Nov 20, 2005 #1

wolram

Gold Member

How do you go about finding a solution if there are several unknowns ? i seem
    to be useing instinct rather than logic, or a bit of both, to get things fixed quickly, i know it is the wrong thing to do ,one should start solving a problem from the begining or end, but this way seems to take much longer.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2005 #2
    If you truly have several independent equations, there is no shortcut. Maybe, use a computer tool?

4. Nov 20, 2005 #3
    What kind of problem are you thinking about here?

5. Nov 21, 2005 #4

wolram

Gold Member

Fixing all typs of machine Zooby, often with no, or outdated wireing/pnumatic
    diagrams, the food industry seems to prefer adapted secondhand machines to
    purpose built new ones, i suppose they are right in a way as they are so mistreated, but it sure don't help me when they stop working.

6. Nov 21, 2005 #5
    The Polya method.

7. Nov 21, 2005 #6

Danger

Gold Member

While I prefer to have plans on hand, I seem to usually just go by logic and a bit of mechanical instinct. My success rate rather astounds me. :bugeye:

8. Nov 22, 2005 #7

wolram

Gold Member

Why be astounded ? i find the ability to solve problems quickly earns one fame,
    and your fans ring you all times of day or night :grumpy:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?