Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem solving

1. Nov 20, 2005 #1

wolram

Gold Member

How do you go about finding a solution if there are several unknowns ? i seem
    to be useing instinct rather than logic, or a bit of both, to get things fixed quickly, i know it is the wrong thing to do ,one should start solving a problem from the begining or end, but this way seems to take much longer.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2005 #2
    If you truly have several independent equations, there is no shortcut. Maybe, use a computer tool?

4. Nov 20, 2005 #3
    What kind of problem are you thinking about here?

5. Nov 21, 2005 #4

wolram

Gold Member

Fixing all typs of machine Zooby, often with no, or outdated wireing/pnumatic
    diagrams, the food industry seems to prefer adapted secondhand machines to
    purpose built new ones, i suppose they are right in a way as they are so mistreated, but it sure don't help me when they stop working.

6. Nov 21, 2005 #5
    The Polya method.

7. Nov 21, 2005 #6

Danger

Gold Member

While I prefer to have plans on hand, I seem to usually just go by logic and a bit of mechanical instinct. My success rate rather astounds me. :bugeye:

8. Nov 22, 2005 #7

wolram

Gold Member

Why be astounded ? i find the ability to solve problems quickly earns one fame,
    and your fans ring you all times of day or night :grumpy:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?