1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem Solving

1. Aug 4, 2008 #1
    1) Three frogs are placed on three vertices of a square. Every minute, one frog leaps over another frog, in such a way that the "leapee" is at the midpoint of the line segment whose endpoints are the starting and ending position of the "leaper." Will a frog ever occupy the vertex of the square that was originally unoccupied?

2) Two people take turns cutting up a rectangular chocolate bar that is 6 x 8 squares in size. You are allowed to cut the bar only along a division between the squares and your cut can be only a straight line. For example, you can turn the original bar into a 6 x 2 piece and a 6 x 6 piece, and this latter piece can be turned into a 1 x 6 piece and a 5 x 6 piece. The last player who can break the chocolate wins (and gets to eat the chocolate bar). Is there a winning strategy for the first or second player? What about the general case (The starting bar is m x n)?

Please help me with these problems! I don't know how to even begin solving this! Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To get to the vertex of the square that was unoccupied one of the frogs has to change it's x or y coordinate by one square unit after a number of hops. Can it do that? Get a piece of graph paper and try hopping around for a while. I don't know the answer to the second question but the strategy is the same. Try playing the game with yourself for a while with smaller rectangles. Can you see a pattern emerging?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?