Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem to save & open

1. Dec 7, 2015 #1
    I can’t save any AutoCAD drawings, when i push the save button or file->save (or save as) the AutoCAD writs on the command bar and do nothing, it seems like a virus on the AutoCAD program. I have AutoCAD 2010 and win 7
    any ideas how i can delete the virus from the AutoCAD?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2015 #2
    I assume that you had everything working fine and then suddenly this has started to happen.
    It's not necessarily something to do with a virus.
    It would be an unusual virus that disables a particular software product and does nothing else.
    It could be that something has gone wrong with the AutoCAD installation.
    First sensible step is to uninstall then re-install it, (make sure you have made backup copies of important data files first.)
    I think AutoCAD requires a registration key too, if so make sure you have a copy of that as well!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  4. Dec 7, 2015 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Is there any chance that this is the Free Trial version, and the trial period has expired?

5. Dec 7, 2015 #4
    Another possibility is that you have run out of free disk space.
    Some big packages have a requirement that a minimum amount of free space is available, even if you are going to be only reading files.
    Normally though, an error message will be shown if that's the problem.

6. Dec 13, 2015 #5
    Did you try to Recover or Audit the drawing?
    Insert into a new .dwg or XREF?
    See if there is a .bak file of the drawing and rename?

Now, after I read what you told me, I changed the extension from .bak to .dwg and it worked in one out of four files so it is a good start.
    I will also try your other suggestions and post the results.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook