Solving Jackson's 3rd Ed. Equations Involving A, L and g

In summary: Sorry, I forgot to mention it.In summary, the conversation discussed several equations from Jackson's (3rd edition p. 545) related to matrices and their determinants. The first equation shows that the determinant of e^L is equal to e^(TrL). The second equation raises questions about the possibility of having g = e^g in the equation g~Ag = e^(g~Lg). However, it was explained that this is possible because g^2 = I and g is equal to its inverse. The conversation also touched on Taylor expansion and how it is used in equations on page 547 of Jackson's book.
anbhadane
TL;DR Summary
I am reading Jackson's book, where on (p.545) I got some doubts.
In Jackson, (3rd edition p. 545), there are equations they are given as,
$$A = e^L $$
$$det A = det(e^L) = e^{Tr L}$$
$$g\widetilde{A}g = A^{-1} $$
$$ A = e^L , g\widetilde{A}g = e^{{g\widetilde{L}g}} , A^{-1} = e^{-L}$$
$$ g\widetilde{L}g = -L $$

I have several doubts.

1) $$det(e^L) = e^{TrL}$$ How determinant is equal to RHS of equation?, does here are we assuming there is special type of L ?

2) Now in $$ g\widetilde{A}g = e^{{g\widetilde{L}g}}$$, How is it possible to have $$g = e^{g}?$$

Physics news on Phys.org
yes doubts are questions.
Oh, I come to know about the first part but still for second question how is it possible to have metric tensor equal to exponential of metric tensor?

anbhadane said:
but still for second question how is it possible to have metric tensor

Is ##g## the matrix for the metric tensor for Minkowski spacetime in Cartesian coordinates? If so, then ##g^2## = ##I## and ##g = g^{-1}##. Consequently,
$$\begin{align}
e^{g \tilde L g} &= e^{g \tilde L g^{-1}} \\
&= I + g \tilde L g^{-1} + \frac{1}{2!} \left( g \tilde L g^{-1} \right)^2 + \frac{1}{3!} \left( g \tilde L g^{-1} \right)^3 + \ldots \\
&= I + g \tilde L g^{-1} + \frac{1}{2!} g \tilde L g^{-1} g \tilde L g^{-1} + \frac{1}{3!} g \tilde L g^{-1} g \tilde L g^{-1} g \tilde L g^{-1} + \ldots \\
&= g I g^{-1} + g \tilde L g^{-1} + \frac{1}{2!} g \tilde L^2 g^{-1} + + \frac{1}{3!} g \tilde L^3 g^{-1} +\ldots \\
&= g \left( \tilde L + \frac{1}{2!} \tilde L^2 + \frac{1}{3!} \tilde L^3 + \dots \right) g^{-1} \\
&= g e^{\tilde L} g^{-1} .
\end{align}$$

anbhadane said:
Oh, I come to know about the first part but still for second question how is it possible to have metric tensor equal to exponential of metric tensor?
He has that ##A=e^L##, here ##A## isn't a metric, neither is ##L##.

Likes anbhadane
Now I got it. I was thinking in very different way. First one was easy, and second one is essentially taylor expansion. But here we are just taking approximation, thank you all of you.

anbhadane said:
Now I got it. I was thinking in very different way. First one was easy, and second one is essentially taylor expansion. But here we are just taking approximation, thank you all of you.
There are no approximations. What George Jones wrote is exact.

Likes anbhadane
Oh,sorry , got it.

Oh, similar way of expansion, calculations on 547, are done. In Jackson's (p.547) equation such as (11.94) , (11.96), (11.98) are expanded by Taylor expansion.

1. How do I solve equations involving A, L, and g in Jackson's 3rd edition?

Solving equations involving A, L, and g in Jackson's 3rd edition requires understanding the basic principles of these variables and how they relate to each other. It also involves using mathematical techniques such as substitution, elimination, and rearranging equations to isolate the desired variable.

2. What is the significance of A, L, and g in Jackson's 3rd edition equations?

A, L, and g are commonly used variables in physics and engineering equations, representing acceleration, length, and gravitational acceleration, respectively. In Jackson's 3rd edition, these variables are often used in equations related to motion, forces, and energy.

3. Are there any specific strategies for solving equations involving A, L, and g?

There are various strategies that can be used to solve equations involving A, L, and g, depending on the specific problem. Some common techniques include setting up and solving systems of equations, using dimensional analysis, and applying the appropriate formulas and laws related to these variables.

4. Can I use units in equations involving A, L, and g?

Yes, it is important to include units when solving equations involving A, L, and g. This helps ensure that the final answer is in the correct units and makes it easier to check for errors. It is also important to use consistent units throughout the equation to avoid errors.

5. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when solving equations involving A, L, and g?

Some common mistakes when solving equations involving A, L, and g include forgetting to convert units, using the wrong formula or law, and making arithmetic errors. It is important to carefully check each step and the final answer to avoid these mistakes.