1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Problem using Gay-Lussac's law and forces

1. Jan 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A cubic box of volume 4.0 multiplied by 10-2 m3 is filled with air at atmospheric pressure at 20°C. The box is closed and heated to 160°C. What is the net force on each side of the box?

2. Relevant equations
    P1/T1=P2/T2
    P=F/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    So we can assume that volume is constant because the box is closed. P1=1 atm P2=unknown
    T1=20C T2=160C. Using the above equation I got: 1/20=P2/160--> 1/20*160=P2-->P2=8 atm
    Then to find the force I thought I should use F=PA. I converted 8 atm into N/m2 and got 810 600N/m2. For the area of one side of the box, I thought that one length of the cubic box was the cube root of 0.04 squared which I found to be 0.11696m2. So then, I put those numbers into the equation and got F=PA--> F=0.11696*810600--> F=94808.35N
    But this was wrong

I have tried this problem many different times and keep getting it wrong. I was wondering if it matters the units you use for the first equation P/T=P/T. I thought as long as you kept them constant it didn't...but then when I tried it with different units eg. Kelvins instead of degrees Celsius I got a different answer.

Could someone please help? I would really appreciate it!
    Thank you

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted