1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem, where is the mistake ?

1. Nov 9, 2007 #1
    Referring to the attached drawing:
    Two rods 3m long. Rod A is moving at 0,866 c from right to left.
    The pictures are taken from the point of view of rod B.

( 1 )In 1 a ray of ligth reaches the end of both rods. It happens that the reading of the clocks at rod A and rod B is 0.
    Because v = 0.866 *c -> l´= l * 0.5 , thats why the left end of rod A is at the middle point of rod B.

( 2 )In 2 after 10 ns ( at clocks on rod B ) the light reaches the left end of rod B, assuming c = 30 cm/ns.
    Rod A has moved 0.866 * c * 30 ns/cm = 260 cm.

But, because t'= t *0.5, the reading on clocks at rod A is 5 ns. So the light has moved, in the frame of reference of A, 150 cm -> the light must be at the middle of rod A, and it isnt according to the explained in ( 2 ). Where is the mistake ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2007 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

You have the wrong formula for t'. The correct formula is:

t' = γ(t-vx/c²)

Your formula neglects the relativity of simultaneity.

4. Nov 10, 2007 #3
    Thank you for the answer. I made a google search and I found your formula, but I dont know how to apply it ( what does x mean ? )

Could you resolve the problem with numbers ?
    Is the drawing 1 correct ? ( the left end of rod A is at the middle of rod B ? )
    Where is the right end of rod A when the ligth reaches the left end or rod B ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?