Problem, where is the mistake ?

• Thread starter alvaros
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mistake
In summary, the conversation discusses a drawing with two rods, one of which is moving at 0.866 times the speed of light. The pictures are taken from the perspective of the stationary rod. In the first scenario, a ray of light reaches the ends of both rods simultaneously, but due to the difference in speed, the clocks on the moving rod show a reading of 0 while the clocks on the stationary rod show a reading of 0.5. In the second scenario, after 10 nanoseconds, the light reaches the left end of the stationary rod, but the clocks on the moving rod show a reading of 5 nanoseconds due to the relativity of simultaneity. The conversation then discusses the correct formula for
alvaros
Referring to the attached drawing:
Two rods 3m long. Rod A is moving at 0,866 c from right to left.
The pictures are taken from the point of view of rod B.

( 1 )In 1 a ray of ligth reaches the end of both rods. It happens that the reading of the clocks at rod A and rod B is 0.
Because v = 0.866 *c -> l´= l * 0.5 , that's why the left end of rod A is at the middle point of rod B.

( 2 )In 2 after 10 ns ( at clocks on rod B ) the light reaches the left end of rod B, assuming c = 30 cm/ns.
Rod A has moved 0.866 * c * 30 ns/cm = 260 cm.

But, because t'= t *0.5, the reading on clocks at rod A is 5 ns. So the light has moved, in the frame of reference of A, 150 cm -> the light must be at the middle of rod A, and it isn't according to the explained in ( 2 ). Where is the mistake ?

Attachments

• Dibujo.bmp
    22.3 KB · Views: 463
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
alvaros said:
Where is the mistake ?
You have the wrong formula for t'. The correct formula is:

t' = γ(t-vx/c²)

Your formula neglects the relativity of simultaneity.

Thank you for the answer. I made a google search and I found your formula, but I don't know how to apply it ( what does x mean ? )

Could you resolve the problem with numbers ?
Is the drawing 1 correct ? ( the left end of rod A is at the middle of rod B ? )
Where is the right end of rod A when the ligth reaches the left end or rod B ?

1. What is the scientific method and how does it relate to identifying mistakes in a problem?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to problem-solving that involves making observations, formulating a hypothesis, testing the hypothesis through experiments, and analyzing the results to draw a conclusion. When applied to identifying mistakes in a problem, the scientific method helps to break down the problem into smaller parts and systematically test each component to identify where the mistake may be occurring.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills to better identify mistakes?

One way to improve problem-solving skills is to practice regularly. This could involve solving different types of problems, working with others, and seeking feedback on your approach. It's also important to approach problems with a curious and open mindset, and to be willing to try different strategies if one approach is not working.

3. Are there common types of mistakes that are often found in problems?

Yes, there are several common types of mistakes that can occur in problems, including computational errors, incorrect assumptions, and incomplete or incorrect data. It's important to be aware of these potential mistakes and to double-check your work to ensure accuracy.

4. What should I do if I suspect there is a mistake in my problem but I can't identify it?

If you are having trouble identifying a mistake in your problem, it can be helpful to take a step back and look at the problem from a different perspective. You can also try breaking the problem down into smaller parts or discussing it with a colleague or mentor for a fresh perspective.

5. Can mistakes in a problem lead to incorrect conclusions?

Yes, mistakes in a problem can often lead to incorrect conclusions. This is why it's important to carefully identify and correct any mistakes in a problem before drawing a final conclusion. Using the scientific method and double-checking your work can help to avoid drawing incorrect conclusions based on mistakes.