1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem wit h a pendulum

1. Sep 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A pendulum clock measures the time exactly if its period is [itex] T_0 [/itex]. What time does the pendulum record in a time [itex] D [/itex] , if its period becomes [itex] T [/itex] ?

2. Relevant equations

I know that the number of oscilations of the pendulum in the time D is : N=D/T

3. The attempt at a solution

Well I don't know how to use the informations that the probelm gives me.

P.S. : SORRY FOR THE SPELLING IN THE TITLE

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Each period of the pendulum, the display of the clock goes forwards by T0.
    After N periods, what does the clock show?

4. Sep 29, 2013 #3
    Ohhhhh I get it now. I looked more closely in the mechanism of the pendulum. From what I understood, each time an oscilation is completed the pendulum records a certain time. Let this time be [itex] t [/itex]. This [itex] t [/itex] is constant, and its typical for every pendulum, right ?

In our problem the period , i.e. the time needed for an oscilation to be completed , is modified. But, because our [itex] t [/itex] is a constat, the pendulum will record the same time for each oscilation, even if the number of oscilations increases or decreases.

In our problem:

In a time D, the pendulum swings : [itex] N=\frac{D}{T} [/itex] times => the pendulum measures the time [itex] Nt [/itex] .

Who is [itex] t [/itex] ? Well we know, from the hypothesis that [itex] \frac{D}{T_0}t=D [/itex], that is , if the period is [itex] T_0 [/itex] then the time measured by the pendulum is D. Solving for t, we obtain: [itex] t = T_0 [/itex] .

So, [itex] Nt = NT_0=\frac{D}{T}T_0 [/itex]. This is the time the pendulum measures.

Please, help me, and tell me if my judgement is correct. I belive that what confused me before was that I wasn't fully aware that the mechanism of a pendulum allows it to record the same amount of time, and that this time ( [itex] t [/itex] ) doesn't depend on the number of oscilations.

5. Sep 29, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Right.

Correct.

6. Sep 29, 2013 #5
    Thank you very much!!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted