Problem with a boundary condition in Comsol

In summary, a chemical engineering student is facing difficulties while using Comsol multiphysics to solve a diffusion problem in a solid sphere. The student is trying to set a boundary condition on the sphere's surfaces, which involves a variable that changes during simulation. The suggestion is to combine the two equations and use the resulting equation as the boundary condition. This should help solve the problem.
ivanguru
hi, I'm a chemical engineering student with a little problem with Comsol multiphysics;
in practice, i have to solve a problem of diffusion in a solid sphere.
after drawing the domain, i have to set a boundary condition on sphere's surfaces.
this condition, for my problem, is FLUX=Kc(Cb-C) and Cb (bulk concentration) is

proportional to an integration coupling variable, that i have previously fixed
In particular, Cb is equal to costant * mass_released, where mass_released is equal

to volume integral of C0 (initial concentration) minus C

After setting all variables and running simulation, it gives me an error referred to

evaluation of variable Cb
I think the problem is that it's difficult to use in a boundary condition a variable that

changes during simulation (in fact it is time dependent)..

I hope someone can help me, have a nice day!

Physics news on Phys.org
What you could try is to combine the two equations to form a single equation and use that as the boundary condition. This would mean combining the equation for Cb with the equation for FLUX, then using the resulting equation for the boundary condition. This should solve your problem.

Dear student,

Thank you for reaching out with your problem in Comsol multiphysics. It seems like you have identified the issue correctly - using a time-dependent variable in a boundary condition can be challenging. My recommendation would be to try using a time-dependent function instead of a variable in your boundary condition. This way, the function will automatically update with time and you won't run into any evaluation errors.

You can also try breaking down your problem into smaller, simpler steps to troubleshoot and identify the issue. Check if the function or variable is being properly evaluated at each time step, and if there are any other factors that may be affecting the boundary condition.

Additionally, I would suggest consulting the Comsol support team for further assistance. They may be able to provide specific guidance or troubleshooting tips for your particular problem.

I wish you the best of luck in solving this issue and hope you have a successful simulation. Have a great day!

1. What is a boundary condition in Comsol?

A boundary condition in Comsol is a set of conditions or constraints that are applied to the boundaries of a physical system in order to accurately simulate its behavior. This can include parameters such as temperature, pressure, and material properties.

2. How do I troubleshoot a problem with a boundary condition in Comsol?

If you are experiencing issues with a boundary condition in Comsol, there are several steps you can take to troubleshoot the problem. First, double check that all of your boundary conditions are correctly defined and applied to the correct boundaries. You can also try adjusting the parameters of the boundary condition or using a different type of boundary condition. If the issue persists, it may be helpful to consult the Comsol user manual or reach out to the Comsol support team for assistance.

3. Can I use multiple boundary conditions in Comsol?

Yes, Comsol allows you to use multiple boundary conditions in your simulations. This can be useful for modeling complex systems where different boundaries may have different conditions applied to them. However, it is important to ensure that the boundary conditions do not conflict with each other in order to obtain accurate results.

4. What are some common mistakes when setting up boundary conditions in Comsol?

One common mistake when setting up boundary conditions in Comsol is forgetting to apply them to all relevant boundaries. It is important to carefully check and make sure that all boundaries have the appropriate conditions applied. Another mistake is using incompatible boundary conditions, such as applying a temperature boundary condition to a pressure boundary. It is also important to make sure that the boundary conditions are physically realistic and match the behavior of the system being modeled.

5. Can I create custom boundary conditions in Comsol?

Yes, Comsol allows users to create custom boundary conditions using the built-in programming language, Comsol Script. This can be useful for modeling unique systems or for applying complex conditions that are not available in the standard boundary condition library. However, it is important to have a good understanding of the Comsol Script language and the underlying physics of the system in order to create accurate custom boundary conditions.