Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with a gaussian integral.

1. May 30, 2005 #1
    Hey, i've been learning about gaussian integrals lately. And i'm now stuck in one part. I am now trying to derive some kind of general formula for gaussian integrals

[tex] \int x^n e^{-\alpha x^2} [/tex]

for the case where n is even. So they ask me to evaluate the special case n=0 and alpha=1. So its [tex] I= \int^{\infty}_{-\infty} e^{-x^2} dx [/tex]. When i square this integral, they said that its [tex] I^2= ({\int^{\infty}_{-\infty} e^{-x^2} dx})({\int^{\infty}_{-\infty} e^{-y^2} dy}) [/tex] with both x and y as according to them, i have to use a different variable for the first and second integral factors.

Why is this so? I have limited calc background. So i was wondering you guys could help me out. Thanks alot.....

Last edited: May 30, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2005 #2
    I think they're trying to get you to use the gamma function.

[tex]\Gamma(z)=2{\int^{\infty}_{0}dte^{-t^2}t^{z-1} [/tex]

Those two integrands you have are even and the gamma func has useful properities for situations like this.

4. May 30, 2005 #3

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By using different variables for the squared version, you can convert to different coordinate systems, i.e. to cylindrical coordinates. What you typed above is the way you prove that [tex] \int^{\infty}_{-\infty} e^{-x^2} dx = \sqrt{\pi} [/tex]

5. May 30, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"When i square this integral, they said that its [tex] I^2= ({\int^{\infty}_{-\infty} e^{-x^2} dx})({\int^{\infty}_{-\infty} e^{-y^2} dy}) [/tex]"

No, they didn't say that! You put in the "when I square this integral" yourself- they didn't square the integral.

What they did say was: If [tex]I= \int^{\infty}_{-\infty} e^{-x^2} dx[/tex], then it is also true that [tex]I= \int^{\infty}_{-\infty} e^{-y^2} dy[/tex] because that is just a change in the dummy variable.

It is then true that [tex]I^2= I*I= \(\int^{\infty}_{-\infty} e^{-x^2} dx\)\(\int^{\infty}_{-\infty} e^{-y^2} dy\)[/tex]- just multiplying two different ways of writing the same thing.

Of course, the really important thing is that fact that that product of integrals can be written as a double integral:
    [tex](\int^{\infty}_{-\infty} e^{-x^2} dx)(\int^{\infty}_{-\infty} e^{-y^2} dy= \int_{y= -\infty}^{\infty}\int_{x=-\infty}^{\infnty}e^{-(x^2+ y^2)}dxdy[/tex].

Last edited: May 30, 2005
  6. May 30, 2005 #5
    ahhhh so i see, a double integral. Thanks alot. Maybe i misinterpreted what they said, cos' they made it sound that changing the dummy variable was a must.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?