1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with a sum of series

1. May 18, 2006 #1
    Hi, I need to find the sum of such series:
    [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\sin{\frac{\pi}{2^n}}[/tex]
    i know that it's sum is less than [tex]\pi[/tex] but i dont know how to find the exact value.
    thanks in advance for any help or clues

Last edited: May 18, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2006 #2

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What have you tried doing?

4. May 19, 2006 #3
    first of all i'd like to correct myself as i don't really need to find that sum. i was just wondering whether my mathematical knowledge is big[?] enough to solve this problem, so what should I have really asked about is: what method would you choose to find that sum.
    I have used the comparative criterion (precisely this inequality: [tex]sin {x}\leq x[/tex])to find out that this series is convergent and that it's sum is equal or less than [tex]\pi[/tex], but i dont know what to do next. could you tell me what is the level of difficulty of this problem? is the solution rather complicated or can it be presented in a few lines? or which mathematical terms should i know in order to solve it on my own?

Last edited: May 19, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?