Sum of Series with Trigonometric Terms: Seeking Method to Find Exact Value

In summary, the speaker is trying to find the sum of the series \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\sin{\frac{\pi}{2^n}} but is unsure of how to do so. They have attempted to use the comparative criterion and have determined that the series is convergent and has a sum less than \pi. They are now seeking advice on the difficulty level of the problem and what mathematical terms they should know to solve it on their own.
rahl__
Hi, I need to find the sum of such series:
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\sin{\frac{\pi}{2^n}}[/tex]
i know that it's sum is less than [tex]\pi[/tex] but i don't know how to find the exact value.
thanks in advance for any help or clues

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
What have you tried doing?

first of all i'd like to correct myself as i don't really need to find that sum. i was just wondering whether my mathematical knowledge is big[?] enough to solve this problem, so what should I have really asked about is: what method would you choose to find that sum.
What have you tried doing?
I have used the comparative criterion (precisely this inequality: [tex]sin {x}\leq x[/tex])to find out that this series is convergent and that it's sum is equal or less than [tex]\pi[/tex], but i don't know what to do next. could you tell me what is the level of difficulty of this problem? is the solution rather complicated or can it be presented in a few lines? or which mathematical terms should i know in order to solve it on my own?

Last edited:

1. What is a "Problem with a sum of series"?

A "Problem with a sum of series" refers to a mathematical problem in which the goal is to find the sum of an infinite or finite series of numbers. These types of problems are commonly encountered in calculus and other areas of mathematics.

2. What types of series can have problems with their sums?

Any series with an infinite number of terms can potentially have problems with its sum. However, certain types of series, such as geometric and telescoping series, are more commonly used in these types of problems.

3. What are some common strategies for solving problems with sums of series?

Some common strategies for solving these types of problems include using formulas for specific types of series, such as the geometric series formula or the telescoping series formula. Other strategies include manipulating the series or using properties of limits.

4. Can problems with sums of series have multiple solutions?

Yes, depending on the series and the problem, there can be multiple valid solutions. In some cases, the series may have a finite or infinite sum, while in other cases, the sum may be undefined or approach a certain value as the number of terms increases.

5. How are problems with sums of series relevant in real-life applications?

These types of problems are relevant in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and computer science. For example, they can be used to calculate the total distance traveled by an object with changing velocity or to determine the total cost of an investment with compounding interest.