Problem with a Travelling Electromagnetic Wave

In summary, the electric field will lie along the z-axis and the formula for the component of the electric field along the z-axis is E=Emsin(-ky-wt).
Dante Tufano

A plane electromagnetic wave is traveling in the negative y direction. At t=0, the magnetic field at the origin has its maximum magnitude of 5.300×10-7 T and points in the positive x direction. Which axis does the electric field lie along? Answer with a single letter: x, y, or z. WARNING: You have only one try for this problem.

The plane EM wave above also has a wavelength of 680 nm. Enter the formula for the component of the electric field along the axis from the previous question. Enter the formula as you might on a fancy calculator, for example

5.0 + 3.0*x^4 -0.110*sin(68.0*t)

Your formula should only have numbers and whichever of the variables x, y, z, or t are appropriate. The formula must be accurate for any position and any time. Put all numbers into SI units, but do not include units in the formula that you enter.

Okay, so I'm only having trouble with number fourteen, since it's fairly obvious that the electromagnetic field will point in the direction of the z-axis. I know that for an EM wave traveling in the positive x-direction that:

E=Emsin(kx-wt)

Thus, I've assumed that since the EM wave is traveling in the negative y-direction, that:

E=Emsin(-ky-wt)

So I've plugged and chugged, using:
c=(wavelength)*f
c=(angular freq.)/k
Em/Bm=c

And I got 159.0*sin(-9.23997e6*y-2.77199e15*t) as the equation, but this is apparently wrong. Any ideas on where I may have messed up? (I know that there are many possible places)

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you made a mistake in the formula. The equation should be E=Emsin(ky-wt). Since the wave is traveling in the negative y direction, the ky term should have a negative sign, not the -ky term. So the correct equation should be E=Emsin(-ky-wt).

1. What is a travelling electromagnetic wave?

A travelling electromagnetic wave is a type of energy that is composed of both electric and magnetic fields, which propagate through space at the speed of light. These waves are created by the acceleration of charged particles, such as electrons, and are essential for many forms of technology, including radio and television communication, as well as X-ray and MRI imaging.

2. What are the properties of a travelling electromagnetic wave?

A travelling electromagnetic wave has several key properties, including wavelength, frequency, amplitude, and velocity. The wavelength determines the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of the wave, while the frequency is the number of waves that pass a given point in one second. The amplitude represents the strength of the wave, and the velocity is the speed at which the wave travels.

3. What is the relationship between a travelling electromagnetic wave and light?

Light is a type of electromagnetic wave that is visible to the human eye. However, there are many other types of electromagnetic waves that are not visible, such as radio waves, microwaves, and X-rays. All of these waves have the same fundamental properties and can be described by the same equations.

4. How does a travelling electromagnetic wave interact with matter?

When a travelling electromagnetic wave encounters matter, it can be absorbed, transmitted, or reflected. The amount of energy that is absorbed or transmitted depends on the material's properties, such as its density and composition. For example, visible light is mostly transmitted through glass, while X-rays are mostly absorbed by dense materials, such as bone.

5. What are some real-life applications of travelling electromagnetic waves?

Travelling electromagnetic waves have numerous applications in our daily lives, including communication (radio, television, and cell phones), medical imaging (X-rays and MRI), cooking (microwaves), and remote sensing (radar and satellite imagery). They also play a crucial role in many scientific fields, such as astronomy, physics, and chemistry.