Problem with Alerts? Check for Issues Now

• Bug
  • Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
In summary: This seems to be happening more recently.I've had the same suspicion. But it seems strange to me that posting in the thread does not reset it either.
Drakkith
Mentor
I think I have a problem with some of my watched threads not sending me alerts when someone replies. The screenshot below shows the alert drop-down and one of my watched threads in the background. As shown, someone replied at 10:23 am today, but there's no alert notification for it in the drop-down (should be between Berk's and Spinnor's replies), nor is there a notification if I click on "Show All" in the drop-down.

I'm not sure how long this has been going on, but I feel as if it's been going on for at least a few months. I just hadn't thought about it too much and hadn't managed to snag a clear example until now.

Screenshot 2017-12-11 13.28.35.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-12-11 13.28.35.png
    Screenshot 2017-12-11 13.28.35.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 573
Likes ISamson
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you visit the thread after the previous alert for the same thread? If not, you will not get another one when someone else posts.

Orodruin said:
Did you visit the thread after the previous alert for the same thread? If not, you will not get another one when someone else posts.

Yes. The previous post in the thread was mine.

Drakkith said:
Yes. The previous post in the thread was mine.
I haven't bothered trying to prove it, but I've suspected that visiting the thread is not sufficient to rearm the alert - you have to get to the thread through the alert itself.

Likes symbolipoint
Nugatory said:
I haven't bothered trying to prove it, but I've suspected that visiting the thread is not sufficient to rearm the alert - you have to get to the thread through the alert itself.

Hmmm. That might explain it. I'll have to try to test it out.

Nugatory said:
I have had the same suspicion. But it seems strange to me that posting in the thread does not reset it either.

Happens with me as well.

Maybe a couple or three days ago, the Alert system seemed disturbed - very very briefly only.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I tweaked a setting. Let me know if this is still a problem.
Will do.

In the past, I have occasionally found a few threads I had an alert on that had stopped sending me alerts.
They worked again after I clicked the button to turn off the alerts and then again to turn them back on.

Likes Drakkith

1. What is the "Problem with Alerts? Check for Issues Now" message and why am I seeing it?

The "Problem with Alerts? Check for Issues Now" message is a warning that appears when there is an issue with the alert system. This could be due to a technical problem or an error with the alert settings.

2. How do I know if there is a real problem with the alert system or if it is just a false alarm?

If you see the "Problem with Alerts? Check for Issues Now" message, it is important to check your alert settings and ensure that they are correct. If everything appears to be in order, you can assume that it is just a false alarm and no further action is needed.

3. Can I turn off the "Problem with Alerts? Check for Issues Now" message?

No, this message is an important warning that alerts you to potential issues with the alert system. It is not recommended to turn it off, as it could lead to missing important notifications and alerts.

4. What should I do if I continue to see the "Problem with Alerts? Check for Issues Now" message even after checking my alert settings?

If the message persists, it is possible that there is a technical problem with the alert system. In this case, it is recommended to contact your IT department or the technical support team for further assistance.

5. How can I prevent future issues with the alert system?

To prevent future issues with the alert system, it is important to regularly check and update your alert settings. It is also recommended to have a backup system in place in case of any technical problems. Additionally, keeping all software and systems up-to-date can help prevent potential issues with the alert system.