Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with an operator

1. May 2, 2013 #1

ShayanJ

Gold Member

In an article I'm reading, the author defines an operator as below:
    [itex]
    \hat{U}_{CNOT}(\theta)=\exp{(-i \theta \hat{U}_{CNOT})}=\hat{1} \cos{\theta}-i \hat{U}_{CNOT} \sin{\theta}
    [/itex]
    Where [itex] \hat{U}_{CNOT} [/itex] is the controlled not gate(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controlled_NOT_gate).
    Then the operator is applied to a state of the form [itex] (\alpha |0\rangle+\beta|1\rangle) \otimes |\psi\rangle [/itex] and the resulting state is:
    [itex]
    (\alpha e^{-i \theta} |0\rangle+\beta \cos{\theta} |1\rangle)\otimes |\psi\rangle-i \beta \sin{\theta} |1\rangle \otimes (\hat{\sigma}_x |\psi\rangle)
    [/itex]
    where [itex]\hat{\sigma}_x=\begin{pmatrix}
    0&1\\
    1&0
    \end{pmatrix} [/itex]
    Then the author says:
    Now my problem is that I can't understand how that happens. I don't know how to work with [itex] \hat{Z}_A(\theta)\hat{U}_{CNOT}(\theta) [/itex].I'll appreciate any suggestion.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Meaningless without citations.
    Which article - where - when - who is the author?

But I think this is just a handy notation to remove a nasty bit of math.
    Z does what it is defined to do. The author is only using it by defining it.
    See what happens next.

4. May 2, 2013 #3

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Yeah,I wasn't clear enough,sorry.
    This is the link to the article:http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0108132
    But the part that I mentioned,doesn't need much knowledge about the other parts of the article.
    My problem is that when I apply [itex] \hat{Z}_A(\theta) [/itex] to [itex] \hat{U}_{CNOT}(\theta)(\alpha |0 \rangle +\beta|1\rangle)\otimes |\psi \rangle [/itex],there is still a relative phase between [itex] |0\rangle [/itex] and [itex] |1\rangle [/itex] which leads me to think I'm missing sth.
    Also I can't get help from the article itself,because it doesn't contain calculations that I want.

Last edited: May 2, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook