1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with average value

1. Mar 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

i have some problems that i tried to do but i couldn't get the answer , i hope you can help me, please,

1. what is the average value of y for the part of the curve y = 3x-x^2 which is in the first quadrant? the answer is -6 , but i couldn't get it

2. the average value of cos x on the interval [-3,5] is ? the answer is (sin3 +sin5)/8 , i only got ( sin -3 - sin5)/8 , i have no idea why is sin3 + sin5 .

i hope you can help me with these problem , thank u . ^^

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2010 #2

Staff: Mentor

I don't see how the average value could possibly be -6. The graph of y = 3x - x^2 is a parabola that opens downward. Except for the two x-intercepts, the y-values on the portion of the graph in the first quadrant are all positive y-values, so the average value has to be positive. What do you have for your integral?

I think you are evaluating the limits of integration for your antiderivative in the wrong order.
    You should have gotten (1/8)(sin 5 - sin(-3)). By identity, sin(-x) = -sin(x), for all x.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook