1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with buyoancy and fluid stuff

1. Nov 25, 2003 #1
    I can't figure this out... I know that answer is wrong, help please? Someone? Ahh!

http://www.gatcity.com/images2/physics.jpg

Last edited: Nov 25, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2003 #2

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess it's because I haven't TA'd anything yet...

Can you put down how you went about solving the problem here so we can find where you're having trouble?

Thanks

4. Nov 25, 2003 #3
    TAed?

I figured I needed to find the mass of the wood raft, and then if I had that I could solve what the Fb was.. Originally I thought the buyoant force was 1158 since the net force equals zero and there is a force of 1158 pushing down (that should be 1158 * 9.81)

... and then after that I just got really confused and talked to a friend from my class who was equally confused....

If I can find the mass, then I know that (1158 + m)/(3.40) = density, but I just can't figure out that mass. I've tried all of the buyoant formulas I know, and they aren't helping much...

5. Nov 26, 2003 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Ask yourself what are all the forces acting on the "pig plus raft" system. You know it's in equilibrium, so the net force is zero.

I see three forces acting:
    Weight of the pig (acts down)
    Weight of the raft (acts down) - how do you figure its weight?
    Bouyant force of water on raft (acts up) - how do you figure bouyant force?

First figure out all these forces as much as you can. Then write the equation for equilibrium. Then solve for what you don't know.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?