Proving the Cauchy Integral Theorem for Complex Analysis

In summary, the conversation revolves around the use of the Cauchy Integral Theorem to prove a specific equation. The individual asking for help is unsure of how to approach the problem and is still researching potential solutions. Another individual offers guidance on how to apply the Cauchy Integral Formula to solve the equation. The conversation ends with gratitude for the assistance and a determination to continue working on the problem.
brad sue
Hi,
I don't understand the cauchy theorem on complex analysis.
I have this problem and I would like to have some help for it.

The question is:
Use the Cauchy Integral Theorem to prove that:
[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\frac{1}{x^2-2x+5}dx=\frac{\pi}{2}
[/tex]

It is told to have a closed surface . but here it is not specified. So I have nothing to offer as a try but I am still searching:uhh:

Thank you for your help.
B

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, my first thought was to look up the "Cauchy Integral Formula"! I didn't actually look them up but If I remember correctly, it is
[tex] f^(n)(x)= \int \frac{dz}{(z-z_0)^{n+1}}[/tex]
You might want to "complete the square" to get the deominator in that form.

The contour you want is along the positive real axis and then close with a counterclockwise circle of radius R is the upper half plane and let R->infinity. The integrand can be factored into 1/((z-r1)(z-r2)) where r1 and r2 are the two roots of the quadratic. Only one is in the upper half plane. Apply the Cauchy Integral formula to that. This tells you what the value of the contour is. Now show you can ignore the contribution from the circular part as R->infinity. Since the value of f(z) there is ~1/R^2 and the length of the circular arc is ~R. This is an application of the Cauchy integral formula called the residue theorem.

Thank you both for the insight.
I will try to work it out.
B

What is the Cauchy integral?

The Cauchy integral is a mathematical concept named after the French mathematician Augustin-Louis Cauchy. It is a method of calculating the value of a complex function at a point inside a closed contour by integrating the function along the contour. It is an important tool in complex analysis and has many applications in physics and engineering.

What is the problem with the Cauchy integral?

The main problem with the Cauchy integral is that it is not defined for all complex functions. In order for the integral to exist, the function must be analytic (or holomorphic) inside the contour. This means that the function has to be infinitely differentiable at every point inside the contour. If the function has any singularities or discontinuities inside the contour, the Cauchy integral cannot be defined.

What is a singularity?

A singularity is a point in a complex function where the function is not analytic. This means that the function is not differentiable at that point, and therefore the Cauchy integral cannot be defined. Singularities can be classified as removable, poles, or essential. A removable singularity can be "filled in" to make the function analytic, a pole is a singularity where the function approaches infinity, and an essential singularity is a singularity that cannot be removed.

What are some applications of the Cauchy integral?

The Cauchy integral has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. Some examples include calculating electric potentials and magnetic fields in electromagnetism, finding the velocity potential in fluid dynamics, and solving various differential equations in engineering. It is also used in the study of conformal mapping and the Riemann mapping theorem in complex analysis.

Are there any alternative methods to the Cauchy integral?

Yes, there are other methods for calculating the value of a complex function inside a closed contour. One alternative is the Cauchy-Goursat theorem, which states that the value of a function inside a contour can be calculated by adding the values of the function at each point on the contour. Another method is the Cauchy residue theorem, which involves using the residues of a function at its singularities to calculate the integral. These methods can be used when the Cauchy integral is not defined.