Problem with CD/DVD Drive

• Thread starter RiseAgainst
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drive
In summary: I'm just saying that it's strange.In summary, the individual is experiencing an issue with autoplay not starting when inserting a CD or DVD into their HP Pavilion a6528p desktop. Upon clicking on the drive, it shows that there is a disk with data but gives an "E:/Application not found" error when attempting to access it. They have tried reinstalling the driver, but it does not seem to be a driver issue. Upon right-clicking and exploring the drive, the files for the DVD appeared, which was not the case before. It is suspected that the issue may be related to the autorun function not working on the disc.
RiseAgainst
I have an HP Pavilion a6528p desktop. Whenever I insert a cd or dvd autoplay doesn't start. Then when I click on my computer I shows that there is a disk with data on it, but when I click on it, it says:
"E:/

Application not found"

it used to try to burn a disk even if it had information on it, but now it doesn't even find the disk drive, other than installing a driver what else can I do?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Right click on the drive and hit "Explore." Let us know if any files show up.

- Warren

I clicked Explore and files for the dvd I have in it came up. Usually nothing comes up though. If I reinstall the driver will it fix the problem of not being able to double click on the drive?

It doesn't sound like you have anything remotely related to a driver problem. Drivers allow your operating system to communicate with your hardware, and that's clearly happening just fine.

Does the DVD have a file called "autorun.inf" on it? You might have to change your settings to show hidden files, as this file is normally hidden.

I suspect that your computer is working correctly, and you're simply trying to use the autorun function on a disc with no autorun information.

- Warren

Just a couple of days ago it wouldn't show me any files even when I clicked explore. I don't know why it all of a sudden started showing me files.

Well, I certainly can't tell you what happened a couple of days ago.

- Warren

I'm not asking you to

What causes a problem with a CD/DVD drive?

There are several possible reasons for a problem with a CD/DVD drive. It could be due to a faulty or outdated driver, physical damage to the drive, a dirty or scratched disk, or a malfunctioning computer system.

How can I fix a CD/DVD drive that is not reading discs?

First, try cleaning the disk and the drive with a soft, lint-free cloth. If that doesn't work, check for any physical damage and replace the drive if necessary. You can also try updating the driver or troubleshooting the computer's system settings.

Why is my CD/DVD drive making strange noises?

Strange noises coming from a CD/DVD drive can indicate that there is a mechanical issue with the drive, such as a loose or broken component. It is best to get it checked and repaired by a professional.

Can a virus cause problems with a CD/DVD drive?

Yes, a virus or malware can cause issues with a CD/DVD drive by corrupting the driver or system files. It is important to regularly scan your computer for viruses and have a reliable antivirus software installed.

How can I prevent future problems with my CD/DVD drive?

To prevent problems with your CD/DVD drive, always handle discs carefully and keep them clean. Regularly clean the drive and update the driver and computer's system. It is also a good idea to back up important files on a separate storage device.