Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with CD/DVD Drive

1. Aug 5, 2009 #1
    I have an HP Pavilion a6528p desktop. Whenever I insert a cd or dvd autoplay doesn't start. Then when I click on my computer I shows that there is a disk with data on it, but when I click on it, it says:
    "E:/

Application not found"

it used to try to burn a disk even if it had information on it, but now it doesn't even find the disk drive, other than installing a driver what else can I do?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2009 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Right click on the drive and hit "Explore." Let us know if any files show up.

- Warren

4. Aug 5, 2009 #3
    I clicked Explore and files for the dvd I have in it came up. Usually nothing comes up though. If I reinstall the driver will it fix the problem of not being able to double click on the drive?

5. Aug 5, 2009 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It doesn't sound like you have anything remotely related to a driver problem. Drivers allow your operating system to communicate with your hardware, and that's clearly happening just fine.

Does the DVD have a file called "autorun.inf" on it? You might have to change your settings to show hidden files, as this file is normally hidden.

I suspect that your computer is working correctly, and you're simply trying to use the autorun function on a disc with no autorun information.

- Warren

6. Aug 5, 2009 #5
    Just a couple of days ago it wouldn't show me any files even when I clicked explore. I don't know why it all of a sudden started showing me files.

7. Aug 5, 2009 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I certainly can't tell you what happened a couple of days ago.

- Warren

8. Aug 5, 2009 #7
    I'm not asking you to

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook