Is Change of Basis the Solution to My Linear Algebra Problem?

In summary: This means that your two matrices are equivalent and you have not made a mistake.In summary, the conversation discusses two different approaches to solving a problem involving constructing a matrix based on a given basis. The first approach involves constructing the standard basis vectors as linear combinations of the given basis, while the second approach involves using change of basis. Both approaches yield equivalent matrices.
TranscendArcu

Homework Statement

Skjermbilde_2012_03_11_kl_8_22_13_PM.png

The Attempt at a Solution

So first I thought to myself that the proper way of doing this problem was to construct each of the standard basis vectors as a linear combination of the basis given us. I have,

[itex]T(1,0,0) = \frac{1}{2} T(1,0,1) + \frac{1}{2} T(1,0,-1) = (\frac{3}{2},0,1)[/itex]
[itex]T(0,1,0) = (0,-1,0)[/itex]
[itex]T(0,0,1) = \frac{1}{2}T(1,0,1) - \frac{1}{2} T(1,0,-1) = (\frac{3}{2},0,-1)[/itex]

Thus I have the matrix with columns that are the images of the standard basis vectors.

However, it seems conceivable that I should also be able to do this problem via change of basis. I have, taking the bases in matrix form,

[itex]\left| \begin{array}{ccc}
1&0&1 \\
0&1&0 \\
1&0&-1 \end{array} \right|[/itex]

I have the transformation relative to the basis:

3&0&0 \\
0&-1&0 \\
0&0&2 \end{array} \right|[/itex]

and the inverse of the basis matrix,

1/2&0&1/2 \\
0&1&0 \\
1/2&0&-1/2 \end{array} \right|[/itex]

If I compose the matrices to find the matrix composition, I have

1/2&0&1/2 \\
0&1&0 \\
1/2&0&-1/2 \end{array} \right|[/itex][itex]\left| \begin{array}{ccc}
3&0&0 \\
0&-1&0 \\
0&0&2 \end{array} \right|[/itex][itex]\left| \begin{array}{ccc}
1&0&1 \\
0&1&0 \\
1&0&-1 \end{array} \right|[/itex] = [itex]\left| \begin{array}{ccc}
5/2&0&1/2 \\
0&-1&0 \\
1/2&0&5/2 \end{array} \right|[/itex]

But clearly, my results for the two matrices are not identical, so what have I done wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your results for T(1,0,0) and the rest of the basis vectors are still expressed in terms of the given basis. In other words, the coordinate vector (3/2, 0, 1) corresponds to 3/2(1,0,1) + 1(1, 0,-1) = (5/2, 0, 1/2) with respect to the canonical basis.

What is a change of basis?

A change of basis is a mathematical process in linear algebra where the coordinates of a vector are expressed in terms of a different set of basis vectors. It allows for the representation of the same vector in different coordinate systems.

Why is change of basis important?

Change of basis is important because it allows for easier and more efficient calculations in linear algebra. It also allows for the analysis of the same vector in different contexts or coordinate systems, making it a crucial tool in various scientific fields.

What are the common problems encountered with change of basis?

The most common problem with change of basis is confusion or errors in the choice of basis vectors. Another problem is the complexity of the calculations involved, which can lead to mistakes. Additionally, change of basis can be challenging to visualize and understand for some individuals.

How do you solve problems with change of basis?

To solve problems with change of basis, it is important to first clearly define the original and new basis vectors. Then, the transformation matrix can be calculated and used to convert the vector from one basis to another. It is also helpful to double-check calculations and visualize the transformation if possible.

What applications does change of basis have in science?

Change of basis has numerous applications in science, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used in vector calculus, quantum mechanics, image processing, and many other areas. It is also essential in data analysis, machine learning, and signal processing.