1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with commutation

1. Dec 3, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

where B=×A , p=i[tex]\bar{h}[/tex] and q is constant

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

if the x component is: px-qAx
    and the y component is py-qAy

Then the x and y components shouldn't commute [px-qAx,py-qAy] <>0. This is where the extra term q[tex]\bar{h}[/tex]σB comes from.

However, it seems that these values do commute:

Am I missing something here that would cause these values not to commute?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2007 #2

Science Advisor

Ay can be a function of x, so it does not commute with px (and vice versa).
  4. Dec 4, 2007 #3
    so what would [px-qAx,py-qAy] evaluate as?
  5. Dec 4, 2007 #4

Science Advisor

In one dimension,
    [tex][p,f(x)]=-i\hbar f'(x)[/tex]
  6. Dec 4, 2007 #5
    oops, I asked the question wrong. I was already given what it evaluates as, I mean to ask why.
    [p,f(x)]=pf(x)-f(x)p... I guess I'm not seeing how the f' and ih terms are coming.
  7. Dec 4, 2007 #6

Science Advisor

Consider f(x)=x^n. Using [A,BCD...]=[A,B]CD... +B[A,C]D... + AC[B,D]... + ...,
    [tex][p,x^n] = [p,x]x^{n-1}+x[p,x]x^{n-2}+\ldots+x^{n-1}[p,x]x+[p,x]x^n[/tex]
    In each term, [itex][p,x]=-i\hbar[/itex], and this is a number that can be pulled out front. There are n terms, and each has n-1 powers of x, so we get
    [tex][p,x^n] = -i\hbar nx^{n-1}[/tex]
    This is [itex]-i\hbar[/itex] times the derivative of x^n with respect to x. So to compute [p,f(x)], we do a Taylor expansion, and get the derivative term by term.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?