Does [p,x^n] commute with f(x)=x^n?

In summary, the proof shows that [σ⋅(p-qA)]²=(p-qA)²-q\bar{h}σ⋅B where B=∇×A , p=i\bar{h}∇ and q is constant. The extra term q\bar{h}σ⋅B is due to the non-commutativity of the x and y components of px-qAx and py-qAy. This can be seen by considering f(x)=x^n and using the commutator relation [p,x]=-i\hbar, which results in -i\hbar times the derivative of x^n with respect to x.
oswaler

Homework Statement

Prove:
[σ⋅(p-qA)]²=(p-qA)²-q[tex]\bar{h}[/tex]σB

where B=×A , p=i[tex]\bar{h}[/tex] and q is constant

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

if the x component is: px-qAx
and the y component is py-qAy

Then the x and y components shouldn't commute [px-qAx,py-qAy] <>0. This is where the extra term q[tex]\bar{h}[/tex]σB comes from.

However, it seems that these values do commute:
(px-qAx)(py-qAy)-(py-qAy)(px-qAx)=0

Am I missing something here that would cause these values not to commute?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ay can be a function of x, so it does not commute with px (and vice versa).

so what would [px-qAx,py-qAy] evaluate as?

In one dimension,
[tex][p,f(x)]=-i\hbar f'(x)[/tex]

oops, I asked the question wrong. I was already given what it evaluates as, I mean to ask why.
[p,f(x)]=pf(x)-f(x)p... I guess I'm not seeing how the f' and ih terms are coming.

Consider f(x)=x^n. Using [A,BCD...]=[A,B]CD... +B[A,C]D... + AC[B,D]... + ...,
[tex][p,x^n] = [p,x]x^{n-1}+x[p,x]x^{n-2}+\ldots+x^{n-1}[p,x]x+[p,x]x^n[/tex]
In each term, [itex][p,x]=-i\hbar[/itex], and this is a number that can be pulled out front. There are n terms, and each has n-1 powers of x, so we get
[tex][p,x^n] = -i\hbar nx^{n-1}[/tex]
This is [itex]-i\hbar[/itex] times the derivative of x^n with respect to x. So to compute [p,f(x)], we do a Taylor expansion, and get the derivative term by term.

1. What is commutation and why is it important?

Commutation is the process of switching the direction of current flow in an electrical circuit. It is important because it allows for the smooth and efficient operation of certain devices, such as motors and generators.

2. What are some common problems with commutation?

Some common problems with commutation include sparking, arcing, and excessive wear on commutator brushes. These issues can lead to decreased performance and potential damage to the electrical system.

3. How can commutation issues be diagnosed?

Commutation issues can be diagnosed through visual inspection of the commutator and brushes, as well as testing for abnormal voltage or current readings. In some cases, specialized equipment may be needed for more accurate diagnosis.

4. What are some potential solutions for commutation problems?

Potential solutions for commutation problems may include cleaning or replacing worn brushes, adjusting the alignment of the brushes, or repairing or replacing damaged components in the electrical system. In more severe cases, the entire system may need to be replaced.

5. How can commutation issues be prevented?

To prevent commutation issues, regular maintenance and cleaning of the electrical system is recommended. It is also important to use high-quality, properly sized components and to avoid overloading the system. Proper training and operation of devices can also help prevent commutation problems.