Solve Density Problem: Mass of 10mi³ Seawater

• Thread starter starsun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Density
In summary, the conversation revolves around solving a problem involving the density of seawater and determining the mass of 10 miles cubed of seawater. The solution involves converting miles cubed to centimeters cubed and using the formula d=m/v for density. The conversation also includes a correction made by another participant and an explanation of the conversion factors used.
starsun
does anyone know how to solve this problem? I've been trying to figure it out for so long but obviously i cant. here's the problem:

Density of seawater is 1.1g/cm cubed. Determine the mass of 10mile cubed of seawater.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
i can show you the units but you will have to look up the conversion factors.

1.1 g seawater/cm^3 x 100^3 cm^3/1m^3 x (how ever many meters in 1 mile)^3 m^3/mi^3 x 10 mi^3= x g of seawater.

Well, density is Mass divided by Volume

d = m/v

d(v) = m

So, you only need to convert 10 miles cubed into centimeters cubed.

Just look up on a simple conversion table.

Mile to Cm conversion.. hmm.. *pulls out chemistry textbook*
Well, I've only got miles to km here, which is 1 mi = 1.609 km.
Soo... that means 10(1.609x10^5) will give you your volume.

10^5 because kilo--> centi has a five place difference.
Kilo is 1000 and centi is .01
So that means there is 10^5 centimeters in one kilometer.

Then just divide.

I think that's correct.
We're doing this same thing in my General Chemistry I course.

density should be in g/cm^3, the latter corresponds to mass/volume. You need to convert a cube having a volume of 10 x 10 x 10 miles, to cm^3...its standard factor label calculations.

Azrioch said:
Mile to Cm conversion.. hmm.. *pulls out chemistry textbook*
Well, I've only got miles to km here, which is 1 mi = 1.609 km.
Soo... that means 10(1.609x10^5) will give you your volume.

I'm sure Azrioch meant to write 10(1.609x10^5)^3, which would be the correct conversion of 10 cubic miles into cubic centimeters.

Just to make sure there's no misunderstanding arising out of convention, this is
[tex] 10 * (1.609*{10}^5)^3 [/tex]

Last edited:
Ah, yes, whoops...

:uhh:

What is the formula for calculating density?

The formula for density is mass divided by volume. In symbols, it is D = m/v.

What is the mass of 10mi³ of seawater?

The mass of 10mi³ of seawater can be calculated by multiplying the density of seawater (1.025 g/cm³) by its volume (10mi³). This would result in a mass of approximately 1.025 x 10^13 grams or 1.025 x 10^10 kilograms.

What is the density of seawater?

The density of seawater varies depending on factors such as temperature and salinity. However, on average, the density of seawater is 1.025 g/cm³.

How is the density of seawater affected by temperature and salinity?

As temperature increases, the density of seawater decreases. This is because warmer water expands and becomes less dense. On the other hand, as salinity increases, the density of seawater increases. This is because saltier water is denser than less salty water.

Why is it important to calculate density in scientific research?

Density is important in scientific research because it helps us understand the physical properties of substances and how they interact with each other. It is also a crucial factor in many scientific experiments and can provide valuable information about the composition and behavior of different materials.