Editing Post Issues: Text Running Off-Screen

• Thread starter Hurkyl
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker occasionally experiences issues with the text box not wrapping properly when editing a post, causing the text to run off the screen. This does not occur when clicking on 'go advanced.' The other speaker suggests that this may be due to long links or LaTex code in the posts being edited, which could cause line breaks to be preserved in the edit window. This has not been a problem for the other speaker who may not be editing posts with as much LaTex content.
Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Occasionally, when I try to edit a post, the text box decides that it doesn't want to wrap to fit in the post -- so I wind up with text running past the edge of the screen, well off to the side of my browser where I can't see it anymore. (Things are fine when I click on 'go advanced')

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't run into that problem. Are the posts you're editing ones that have long links or LaTex code in them? Maybe the line breaks are being preserved in the edit window, even though the actual code is too long for a line? You'd be more likely than me to be editing posts with lots of LaTex in them, so that could be why I haven't encountered such a problem.

1. Why is the text on my post running off-screen?

Text running off-screen can be caused by a few different factors. One common reason is that the font size is too large for the layout of the post, causing the text to overflow. Another reason could be that the post's width is too narrow, causing the text to wrap and run off-screen. Lastly, it could be due to added formatting or HTML tags that are not supported by the platform.

2. How can I fix text running off-screen?

The best way to fix text running off-screen is to adjust the formatting of your post. You can try reducing the font size, adjusting the width of the post, or removing any unnecessary formatting or HTML tags. It may also be helpful to preview your post before publishing to ensure the text is displaying properly.

3. Can I prevent text from running off-screen in the future?

Yes, there are a few steps you can take to prevent text from running off-screen in the future. First, make sure to use a font size and post width that are appropriate for your platform. Additionally, avoid using too many formatting or HTML tags, as these can sometimes cause issues with text display. It may also be helpful to preview your posts before publishing to catch any potential issues.

4. Is text running off-screen a common issue?

Yes, text running off-screen is a common issue that can occur when formatting posts on various platforms. It is often caused by user error, such as using an incompatible font or adding too many formatting tags. However, it can typically be easily fixed by adjusting the formatting or layout of the post.

5. Will fixing text running off-screen affect the rest of my post?

Fixing text running off-screen should not significantly impact the rest of your post. However, depending on the changes made, it may slightly alter the appearance or layout of the post. It is always a good idea to preview the post before publishing to ensure that all elements are displaying properly.