1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with electromagnetic waves

1. Mar 14, 2005 #1
    Lasers have been used to suspend spherical glass beads in the Earth's gravitational field. a) A black bead has a mass of 1 micrograms and a density of 0.200 g/cm^3. Determine the radiation intensity needed to support the bead. b) If the beam has a radius of 0.200 cm, what is the power required for this laser.

I know that density = mass/volume, so I can get the volume from the density and mass. I know that the energy density = energy/volume. Also, I know that intensity = speed of light*energy density. How do I get the energy or am I doing this wrong? Please help...any help would be great! thx! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2005 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Well, the magnitude force needed to suspend the micro-ball must = mg.

The magnitude of the force is related to Pressure x area, but remember this is a curved surface, and one needs the force operating anti-parallel to gravity.

In another of your posts, there is a discussion of radiation (light) pressure. The pressure is simply due to momentum transfer. Consider the relationship between energy and momentum for light.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?