Problem with excel finding computed velocity.

In summary: Fellow scientist. In summary, the conversation was about a scientist seeking help with finding the computed velocity from data given in an Excel spreadsheet. The scientist had taken steps such as graphing the data and using a trendline, but was still not getting the correct results. Suggestions were given to improve the analysis, such as choosing the appropriate graph type and trendline, and double checking calculations and units. The scientist was encouraged to seek further assistance and not get discouraged in their learning process.
HighVoltage
i have done this over countless number of times and i can't get it to work, so i turn to the PF Gods and hopefully you guys/gals can figure it out. we were given data in a excel spreedsheet. we have to find the computed velocity. There is no write up how to do this, my teacher showed up on the board and said "now you go home and do it".

what I did,

1) graphed the data
2) inserted a trendline to the 5th power poly.
3) used that equation and inserted it into a new column. well it doesn't computer the write answers.

i have uploaded my spreedsheet, please take the time to look at it and help me. thanks :)

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=0E35B1431BC43504

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow scientist,

Thank you for reaching out to the scientific community for help with your data analysis. As a fellow researcher, I understand the frustration when things do not work out as expected.

I have looked at the spreadsheet you have provided and it seems that you have taken the right steps in trying to find the computed velocity. However, there may be a few things that you can consider to improve your analysis.

Firstly, when graphing the data, it is important to choose the appropriate graph type. In this case, a scatter plot may be more suitable as it will show the relationship between the variables more clearly. Additionally, you may want to check for any outliers or data points that may be affecting the trendline.

Secondly, when inserting a trendline, it is important to choose the correct type of trendline. In this case, a polynomial trendline may not be the best choice as it may not accurately represent the data. You may want to try a linear or exponential trendline instead and see if that gives you a better fit to the data.

Lastly, when using the equation from the trendline to calculate the computed velocity, make sure that you are using the correct units and that your calculations are accurate. It may also be helpful to double check your calculations with a different method or equation to ensure that your results are correct.

I hope these suggestions will help you in finding the computed velocity from your data. If you continue to have difficulties, do not hesitate to reach out to your teacher or a peer for assistance. Remember, as scientists, we are constantly learning and improving our methods, so do not get discouraged and keep trying.

Best of luck with your analysis!

Hello,

I understand your frustration with not being able to get the computed velocity to work in Excel. It can be a tricky process, especially without clear instructions. I suggest trying a different approach to finding the velocity.

One method you can try is using the slope formula. This formula takes two data points and calculates the slope, which represents the velocity. You can then repeat this process for each set of data points to get the velocity for the entire dataset.

Another option is to use the derivative function in Excel. This will calculate the instantaneous rate of change, which can be interpreted as the velocity at a specific point in time. You can then use a line graph to plot the derivative values and find the overall trend.

I also recommend checking online resources or reaching out to your classmates or teacher for further guidance. Sometimes, it can be helpful to collaborate and troubleshoot together.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

1. What is the problem with excel finding computed velocity?

The problem with excel finding computed velocity is that it may not accurately calculate the velocity due to rounding errors or incorrect data input. This can lead to incorrect results and affect the overall analysis.

2. How can I troubleshoot the issue with excel computed velocity?

To troubleshoot the issue with excel computed velocity, you can check the formula used for the calculation and ensure that it is correct. You can also double check the data input and make sure there are no errors or missing values. Additionally, you can try using a different formula or software to calculate the velocity.

3. Why is excel not calculating velocity correctly?

Excel may not be calculating velocity correctly due to incorrect data input, rounding errors, or incorrect formula. It is important to check all these factors to ensure accurate results.

4. How can I improve the accuracy of excel computed velocity?

To improve the accuracy of excel computed velocity, you can use a more precise formula, double check the data input, and reduce rounding errors by increasing the number of decimals used in the calculation.

5. Are there any alternative methods to calculate velocity besides excel?

Yes, there are alternative methods to calculate velocity besides excel. Some other software programs or mathematical formulas can be used to calculate velocity. It is important to choose the method that best suits your data and provides the most accurate results.