Combining Force and Velocity Data in Excel with Irregular Sample Rate

• Thread starter 24forChromium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Excel
In summary: IFERROR([calculation from cell in column of continuous data],[calculation from cell range for column of sporadic data and column of corresponding value],2 (gets the corresponding value),FALSE)You make a single set of time values at your smallest increment, and then use that formula (or similar) to fit each of your two datasets into the overall time line. The disadvantage of this method is that you will end up with a pretty sparse spreadsheet if you use the 0.1ms time steps that you mentioned. Will your data lose much information if you round up that data to the nearest 10ms, for example?No, I don't think
24forChromium
Not really a programming question, but if you will:

I have two data series, one is force over time, the other is velocity over time.

The first series has a sample rate of 1 measurement per 0.1 second and is consistent.
The second series has an irregular sample rate (due to the intermittent nature of the photogate) and the time of each measured velocity is precise to the forth decimal, although I can convert them into one decimal place if I have to, the precision there is not terribly important.

I would like to combine the dependent (force and velocity) over just one time variable, how can I do that without mannually dragging the velocity measurements to the matching place for about 2000 times?

Technology news on Phys.org
24forChromium said:

I have two data series, one is force over time, the other is velocity over time.

The first series has a sample rate of 1 measurement per 0.1 second and is consistent.
The second series has an irregular sample rate (due to the intermittent nature of the photogate) and the time of each measured velocity is precise to the forth decimal, although I can convert them into one decimal place if I have to, the precision there is not terribly important.

I would like to combine the dependent (force and velocity) over just one time variable, how can I do that without mannually dragging the velocity measurements to the matching place for about 2000 times?

I've wondered about how to best do that as well in the past. I used Google to do a search for ways to combine datasets with different time values into one spreadsheet, and this hit seems to have a pretty good answer (last answer in the thread):

http://superuser.com/questions/620810/match-multiple-time-series-columns

You make a single set of time values at your smallest increment, and then use that formula (or similar) to fit each of your two datasets into the overall time line.

The disadvantage of this method is that you will end up with a pretty sparse spreadsheet if you use the 0.1ms time steps that you mentioned. Will your data lose much information if you round up that data to the nearest 10ms, for example?

24forChromium said:

An estimation technique such as a Kalman filter would work quite nicely here.

Your force and velocity measurements have errors in them of various sorts. If your measurements were perfect you would only need one velocity measurement. The force (divided by mass) yields acceleration, and this integrates to velocity. Integrating a noisy measurement results in a random walk. A Kalman update with your velocity measurement provide a means to re-anchor that integrated velocity. Your velocity measurements are sporadic. That's not a problem; Kalman filters work quite nicely with sporadic updates.

Likes berkeman
D H said:
An estimation technique such as a Kalman filter would work quite nicely here.

Your force and velocity measurements have errors in them of various sorts. If your measurements were perfect you would only need one velocity measurement. The force (divided by mass) yields acceleration, and this integrates to velocity. Integrating a noisy measurement results in a random walk. A Kalman update with your velocity measurement provide a means to re-anchor that integrated velocity. Your velocity measurements are sporadic. That's not a problem; Kalman filters work quite nicely with sporadic updates.
Unfortunately, the two variables do not relate to each other like that. In fact it is just their relationship that I am trying to find.

vlookup is a useful function, you can use the time column in continuous time series to look up matching values in the column with sporadic values. Make sure to set the range_lookup parameter to false

=VLOOKUP([cell in column of continuous data],[cell range for column of sporadic data and column of corresponding value],2 (gets the corresponding value),FALSE)

would need to be combined with the iferror() function if you are calculating something off the data

1. How can I combine force and velocity data in Excel with an irregular sample rate?

To combine force and velocity data in Excel with an irregular sample rate, you will need to first organize your data into two columns - one for force measurements and one for velocity measurements. Then, you can use the "IF" and "INDEX/MATCH" functions in Excel to match the timestamps of the force and velocity data and combine them into a single table.

2. Can I use a different software to combine force and velocity data with irregular sample rate?

Yes, there are other software programs available that can be used to combine force and velocity data with an irregular sample rate. Some options include MATLAB, Python, and R. Each program has its own specific syntax and functions for combining data, so it is important to have some familiarity with the software before attempting to combine your data.

3. What is the benefit of combining force and velocity data?

Combining force and velocity data allows you to get a more complete understanding of the motion or movement being analyzed. By combining these two types of data, you can see how the force and velocity interact and how changes in one may affect the other. This can provide valuable insights into the mechanics of a system or process.

4. How do I deal with missing data when combining force and velocity data?

If there is missing data in either the force or velocity measurements, you can use the "IF" function in Excel to ignore those missing values and only combine the data that is available. You can also use interpolation or other mathematical techniques to estimate the missing data points.

5. Is it necessary to have an equal sample rate for both force and velocity data when combining them in Excel?

No, it is not necessary to have an equal sample rate for both force and velocity data when combining them in Excel. As long as the timestamps can be matched and the data can be organized into two columns, you can use the "IF" and "INDEX/MATCH" functions to combine the data, even if the sample rate is irregular. However, having a more consistent sample rate can make it easier to combine and analyze the data.