1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with fluids

1. Jun 29, 2005 #1
    human lung can withstand an inside/outside difference of about .06 atm. if a diver is using a snorkel to breathe, how far below the water surface can he get before he is risking lung damage? pressure of outside is the water pressure at that depth, while pressure inside is the pressure of the air being breathed.

this is what i have......

.06 = 1.01e5 / (1.01e5 + 1000(9.8)(h)

the above calc comes from equation P= Po +density(g)(h).......1000 is the density of water given to us, and 1.01e5 is atmospheric pressure,,,,, by solving for h i get an answer of 161.45 m........and not suprisingly im way off, the correct answer is .62m where did i go wrong here
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2005 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

See the units for pressure you used on LHS and RHS
  4. Jun 29, 2005 #3
    im not sure i understand what you are saying
  5. Jun 30, 2005 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

On the left hand side you used pressure in atmospheres (0. 06atm). Whereas in the right hand side you used pressure in Pascals (1.01* 10^5 Pascals).
    Since the SI unit of pressure is Pascals (and you used value of g as 9.8 m/sec^2, which is expressed in SI units), you should convert the pressure from atmospheres to Pascals before you calculate.
  6. Jun 30, 2005 #5
    you are right on siddarth,.,,,, thanks a lot
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?