Is There Another Way to Rearrange This Formula for ILS Glideslope?

• Thread starter mcalves
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
Thank you for clarifying!In summary, the conversation discusses a formula for calculating DDM (depth of modulation) in relation to the ILS (Instrument Landing System). The conversation also touches on rearranging the formula and using the antilog function to solve for E2.
mcalves
Hello all, this is a formula that calculates DDM (depth of modulation) at certain outputs of the ILS's Glideslope. I posted this question some time ago but I think I left out some important details. Any help is really appreciated.

This is basic info on the ILS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instrument_Landing_System

db = 20log(E1/E2)

E1 is the input voltage before attenuation
E2 is the output voltage after attenuation

E1 and db seems like is always given. E2 is what needs to be solved.

My course book rearranges the formula to this: E2 = E1log-1(db/20)

-that makes NO sense to me. Log to negative power - or the reciprical?

this is one of the examples they have:

db = -3
E1 = .155

E2 = .155log-1(-3/20) = 0.109

more examples:

2.5log-1(-3/20) = 1.77

1.0log-1(-3/20) = 0.707

.494log-1(-3/20) = 0.342

Is there another way to rearrange the formula that makes sense?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
They mean by log^(-1) the inverse function of log. I'll admit, that's a funny notation. But if you are dealing with base 10 logs, then log^(-1)(x)=10^x. Since log(10^x)=x.

Dick, I'm not real big on math, I am not sure what you mean.

Basically

db = 20log(E1/E2)

db = -3
E1 = .155

How would you solve for E2

by the way yes, the way its written in the book its

log^-1

thanks

mcalves said:
Dick, I'm not real big on math, I am not sure what you mean.

Basically

db = 20log(E1/E2)

db = -3
E1 = .155

How would you solve for E2

I would write db/20=log(E1/E2), then take 10 to the power of both sides (this is log^(-1)). So 10^(db/20)=E1/E2.

Last edited:
Yes, it is Antilog. If the base is 10, then you will find Antilogs for them in logarithmic tables. Base e can be converted into 10 if necessary (by multiplying roughly with 2.303).

Regards,
Sleek.

If it's talking about decibels, then the base of the log is 10.

So take this example that's in the book:

E2 = .155log^-1(-3/20) = 0.109

The answer is already given, but how would I enter this in the calculator? Every way I tried has yielded a syntex or math error.

thanks in advance

mcalves said:
So take this example that's in the book:

E2 = .155log^-1(-3/20) = 0.109

The answer is already given, but how would I enter this in the calculator? Every way I tried has yielded a syntex or math error.

thanks in advance
The argument of a logarithm must be positive, so in this case E2 is undefined.

Hootenanny said:
The argument of a logarithm must be positive, so in this case E2 is undefined.

It's NOT a log, it's an antilog. On the calculator I'm looking at above the 'log' key is a second function labelled [tex]10^x[/tex]. That's the 'antilog'.

okay using the antilog key finally worked. I get that 0.109 answer above with no errors.

Thanks Dick, Sleek, and Hootenanny for responding. Much appreciated!

Dick said:
It's NOT a log, it's an antilog. On the calculator I'm looking at above the 'log' key is a second function labelled [tex]10^x[/tex]. That's the 'antilog'.
Indeed 10^x gives the correct result, I've never seen that notation before.

1. What do I do if my formula is not producing the expected results?

If your formula is not giving you the desired output, first check for any typos or errors in the formula itself. Make sure all cell references are correct and that you are using the correct mathematical operators. It is also important to check that your data is entered correctly and that you are using the correct data type (e.g. numbers vs. text). If you are still having issues, try breaking down the formula into smaller parts to identify where the problem may be occurring.

2. How can I fix a circular reference error in my formula?

A circular reference error occurs when a formula refers to its own cell, creating an infinite loop. To fix this error, you can either change the formula to remove the circular reference or use the iterative calculation feature in Excel. To enable this feature, go to File > Options > Formulas and check the box next to "Enable iterative calculation."

3. Why is my formula returning a #DIV/0! error?

This error occurs when a formula is attempting to divide by zero or an empty cell. To fix this, make sure all necessary cells have data entered and check for any instances of division by zero in your formula. You can also use the IFERROR function to display a custom message instead of the error.

4. How do I copy a formula to multiple cells?

To copy a formula to multiple cells, simply select the cell with the formula and hover your cursor over the bottom right corner until it turns into a black plus sign. Then, drag the plus sign down or across the cells where you want to copy the formula. You can also use the fill handle to copy a formula to adjacent cells.

5. Can I use a formula referencing cells from different sheets in Excel?

Yes, you can reference cells from different sheets in Excel by using the sheet name followed by an exclamation point before the cell reference. For example, to reference cell A1 in a sheet named "Data," you would use the formula =Data!A1. You can also use the INDIRECT function to dynamically reference cells from different sheets based on a specified criteria.