1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with graph drawing

1. Jan 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to draw the running coupling constant graph like this one:

running_coupling.gif

And I have a formula:

[itex]\frac{1}{\alpha(\mu)} = \frac{1}{\alpha(M_Z)} + \frac{b}{2\pi}\ln\frac{\mu}{M_{Z}}[/itex]

And I have the necessary data to draw [itex]\frac{1}{\alpha_i(\mu)}-\log(\mu)[/itex] graph (I have [itex]\alpha_i^{-1}(M_Z)[/itex], [itex]b_i[/itex], and [itex]M_Z[/itex]).

And I plug that in in Mathematica and I cannot seem to get that graph! I tried by replacing the [itex]\frac{1}{\alpha(\mu)}[/itex] with y, and [itex]\log(\mu)[/itex] with x, and plotting that, I've tried by not changing the logarithm, and making the LogPlot, but no go.

I really don't know what I'm doing wrong :(

I looked at 3 papers on this topic, to see if I got the constants wrong, but I didn't see anything different :|

arXiv:hep-ph/0012288v2, arXiv:0711.2903v1 [hep-ph], and arXiv:hep-ph/9705479v1

EDIT:

Never mind! I reversed the sign of the b somehow... xD

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

so where is your graph for comparison?

You've checked the units ofmeasure for each quantity and constant you're using?

It looks like both x and y axes are log based. Are you using the same kind of chart?

The formula is using natural log base e and it looks like the sample chart is using log base 10.

4. Jan 13, 2013 #3
    I've found what I've done wrong. The b constants had reversed sign :D

Thanks anyway :D

5. Jan 13, 2013 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

That's good. Many times just explaining it helps you find your error.

6. Jan 14, 2013 #5
    True that! :D

I do that sometimes with my friends, and in the midst of explaining them the issue, I find the solution :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook