Problem with index notation

• Thread starter andrien
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

(r×∇).(r×∇)=r.∇×(r×∇)
now in index notation it is written as,
=xijxij-xijxji
but when I tried to prove it ,it just came out twice.can anyone tell how it is correct(given is the correct form).i really mean that i was getting four terms which gave twice of above after reshuffling so prove it.

Answers and Replies

vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
All your formulae are correct.

The left-hand side of your first equation reads in index notation
[tex](\vec{r} \times \vec{\nabla}) \cdot (\vec{r} \times \vec{\nabla}) \phi= \epsilon_{jkl} r_k \partial_l (\epsilon_{jmn} r_m \partial_n \phi).[/tex]
Now using
[tex]\epsilon_{jkl} \epsilon_{jmn}=\delta_{km} \delta_{ln}-\delta_{kn} \delta_{lm},[/tex]
you indeed get
[tex](\vec{r} \times \vec{\nabla}) \cdot (\vec{r} \times \vec{\nabla}) \phi = r_{k} \partial_l(r_k \partial_l \phi)-r_k \partial_l(r_l \partial_k \phi).[/tex]

The right-hand side of your first equation is
[tex]\vec{r} \cdot [\vec{\nabla} \times (\vec{r} \times \vec{\nabla}) \phi] = r_j \epsilon_{jkl} \partial_k (\epsilon_{lmn} r_m \partial_n \phi).[/tex]
Again we have
[tex]\epsilon_{jkl} \epsilon_{lmn}=\epsilon_{ljk} \epsilon_{lmn}=\delta_{jm} \delta_{kn} - \delta_{jn} \delta_{km}.[/tex]
Thus we have
[tex]\vec{r} \cdot [\vec{\nabla} \times (\vec{r} \times \vec{\nabla}) \phi] = r_j \partial_k (r_j \partial_k \phi)-r_j \partial_k (r_k \partial_j \phi).[/tex]
This shows that indeed both expressions of your first equations are equal, because the only difference is the naming of the dummy-summation indices :-).

[tex]\epsilon_{jkl} \epsilon_{jmn}=\delta_{km} \delta_{ln}-\delta_{kn} \delta_{lm},[/tex]
I was aware of it which I have seen in butkov an year ago.but this is the first use of it.so thanks,van I think i am just becoming lazy.