Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with index notation

1. Sep 27, 2012 #1
    (r×∇).(r×∇)=r.∇×(r×∇)
    now in index notation it is written as,
    =xijxij-xijxji
    but when I tried to prove it ,it just came out twice.can anyone tell how it is correct(given is the correct form).i really mean that i was getting four terms which gave twice of above after reshuffling so prove it.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2012 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

All your formulae are correct.

The left-hand side of your first equation reads in index notation
    [tex](\vec{r} \times \vec{\nabla}) \cdot (\vec{r} \times \vec{\nabla}) \phi= \epsilon_{jkl} r_k \partial_l (\epsilon_{jmn} r_m \partial_n \phi).[/tex]
    Now using
    [tex]\epsilon_{jkl} \epsilon_{jmn}=\delta_{km} \delta_{ln}-\delta_{kn} \delta_{lm},[/tex]
    you indeed get
    [tex](\vec{r} \times \vec{\nabla}) \cdot (\vec{r} \times \vec{\nabla}) \phi = r_{k} \partial_l(r_k \partial_l \phi)-r_k \partial_l(r_l \partial_k \phi).[/tex]

The right-hand side of your first equation is
    [tex]\vec{r} \cdot [\vec{\nabla} \times (\vec{r} \times \vec{\nabla}) \phi] = r_j \epsilon_{jkl} \partial_k (\epsilon_{lmn} r_m \partial_n \phi).[/tex]
    Again we have
    [tex]\epsilon_{jkl} \epsilon_{lmn}=\epsilon_{ljk} \epsilon_{lmn}=\delta_{jm} \delta_{kn} - \delta_{jn} \delta_{km}.[/tex]
    Thus we have
    [tex]\vec{r} \cdot [\vec{\nabla} \times (\vec{r} \times \vec{\nabla}) \phi] = r_j \partial_k (r_j \partial_k \phi)-r_j \partial_k (r_k \partial_j \phi).[/tex]
    This shows that indeed both expressions of your first equations are equal, because the only difference is the naming of the dummy-summation indices :-).

4. Sep 28, 2012 #3
    [tex]\epsilon_{jkl} \epsilon_{jmn}=\delta_{km} \delta_{ln}-\delta_{kn} \delta_{lm},[/tex]
    I was aware of it which I have seen in butkov an year ago.but this is the first use of it.so thanks,van I think i am just becoming lazy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook