How do I solve this integration problem in quantum mechanics?

• Thread starter Hyperreality
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the normalization condition and the use of the Poisson integral in solving it. The problem requires knowledge of calculus and is related to the HLO in quantum mechanics.
Hyperreality
I've recently posted a thread asking for help in the Homework forum in solving this problem, but till now I still can't figure out how do find the solution to this equation.

Here is the problem.

Show that [tex]A=(\frac{m\omega}{\hbar\pi})^{1/4}.[/tex]

From the normalisation condition

[tex]|A|^2\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-2ax^{2}}=1[/tex]

Where [tex]a =\frac{\sqrt{km}}{2\hbar}[/tex]

I'm really have no idea on how do solve this problem. Does this solving this problem require the use of Fourier Transform?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hyperreality said:
I've recently posted a thread asking for help in the Homework forum in solving this problem, but till now I still can't figure out how do find the solution to this equation.

Here is the problem.

Show that [tex]A=(\frac{m\omega}{\hbar\pi})^{1/4}.[/tex]

From the normalisation condition

[tex]|A|^2\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-2ax^{2}}=1[/tex]

Where [tex]a =\frac{\sqrt{km}}{2\hbar}[/tex]

I'm really have no idea on how do solve this problem. Does this solving this problem require the use of Fourier Transform?

No,just the Poisson integral:
[tex] I_{1}(a)=:\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{-ax^{2}} dx =\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}} [/tex]

Daniel.

PS.In physics,this integral is widely used...

Ohhhhh...

Never heard of it :grumpy: That made things whole a lot simpler.

Hyperreality said:
Ohhhhh...

Never heard of it :grumpy: That made things whole a lot simpler.

Then how the heck were u supposed to do that integral??I'm sure it's about HLO in QM...You should know a lotta calculus for QM...

Daniel.

1. What is integration in science?

Integration in science refers to the process of combining different disciplines or fields of study to gain a deeper understanding of a particular phenomenon or problem. It involves synthesizing knowledge and methods from multiple disciplines to create a more comprehensive approach to problem-solving.

2. What are some common challenges with integrating different disciplines?

Some common challenges with integration include differences in terminology, methods, and theories between disciplines. This can lead to communication barriers and difficulties in understanding each other's perspectives. There may also be resistance to change or a lack of support from individuals or institutions.

3. How can integration benefit scientific research?

Integration can benefit scientific research by providing a more holistic and comprehensive understanding of complex problems. It can also lead to the development of new theories, methods, and technologies that may not have been possible through a single-discipline approach. Additionally, it can promote collaboration and knowledge-sharing between different disciplines.

4. What are some examples of successful integration in science?

Some examples of successful integration in science include the field of biotechnology, which combines biology and technology to develop new medical treatments and agricultural practices. Another example is the use of interdisciplinary teams in environmental science to address complex issues such as climate change and pollution.

5. How can scientists overcome barriers to integration?

To overcome barriers to integration, scientists can actively seek out opportunities to collaborate with individuals from different disciplines. They can also engage in cross-disciplinary training and education to gain a better understanding of different fields. Additionally, creating a supportive and inclusive environment for interdisciplinary research within institutions can also help facilitate integration.