1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with Integration

1. Mar 2, 2005 #1
    I'm trying to integrate this awful expression (by dx):

{[1-(x-3)^2]/9 - 4[(1-(x-3)^2)/9)^1/2] + 4

Help! How can I integrate this? It's so complicated. For the first part, would it be [x- (x-3)^3]/27x???? For the last one I know it is 4x, so that's not a problem, but its mainly the second term with the square root that's the worst. Thank you!
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2005 #2
    By the way, if you get a nonreal answer for this like I did on the calculator, this problem is part of my bigger problem of finding the volume of the ellipse:
    y = ((1-(x-3)^2)/9)-2, which is supposed to have its center at 3, cross the x-axis at 0 and 6, and have a maximum y value at 2, rotated 360 degrees about the x- axis. Maybe I got up to that point wrong, but what I did was find the volume of a section in the figure, which I said was V= pi(y^2)dx and in order to get y^2, I squared the equation for the ellipse that I gave at the top. That's where my above question comes in. Thanks.
  4. Mar 2, 2005 #3
    Do a "u" substitution to see if that helps you look at it better.

[tex] u = x-3[/tex]

[tex]\int\frac{1-u^2}{9}du-\int4\sqrt{\frac{1-u^2}{9}}du + \int4dx [/tex]

EDIT: Also, remember that [tex] \sqrt{\frac{a}{n}} = \frac{\sqrt{a}}{\sqrt{n}}[/tex]
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  5. Mar 2, 2005 #4
    ok, so I ended up figuring out the first and last terms without substitution, but I'm using it for the middle one. I sad let u= x-3 and then du/dx= 1 so du=dx. But in order to do that, I think I still need to have the derivitive of 1-u^2 in order to apply the rule, which would be 2u, but how can that be possible?
  6. Mar 2, 2005 #5
    For the first term, think of the trig inverse functions.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?