Why am I getting complex radii for level sets of this function?

• Thread starter parkerfisss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, the conversation is about finding the set levels of a function and using a graph to determine the equation of a circle. The person initially had a question about getting a complex radius, but later realizes their mistake and apologizes. They then provide a hint for finding a real radius for a non-zero value of z.
parkerfisss
First of all sorry for my english skills.
1. Homework Statement

Im trying to get the set levels of this function:
f(x,y)=(x-y)/(1+x^2+y^2)=z

Homework Equations

circle-> (x-xo)^2+(y-yo)^2=r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

(Leaving this here just to give a graph https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=z=(x-y)/(1+x^2+y^2))
For z=0 its obvious a line y=x.

by taking z=1(or any z=/0 it should give us according to the graph circles of different radious):
x-y=1+x^2+y^2
#sum 2(1/2)^2 on both sides
x^2-x+(1/2)^2 +y^2+y+(1/2)^2= -1+2(1/2)^2
(x-1/2)^2+(y+1/2)^2=-1/2

This last equation means its a circle of radious sqrt(-1/2) with center in (1/2,-1/2).

So my question its why i get complex radious, and what I am doing wrong.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I was mistaken, apologies.

parkerfisss said:
First of all sorry for my english skills.
1. Homework Statement

Im trying to get the set levels of this function:
f(x,y)=(x-y)/(1+x^2+y^2)=z

Homework Equations

circle-> (x-xo)^2+(y-yo)^2=r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

(Leaving this here just to give a graph https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=z=(x-y)/(1+x^2+y^2))
For z=0 its obvious a line y=x.

by taking z=1(or any z=/0 it should give us according to the graph circles of different radious):
x-y=1+x^2+y^2
#sum 2(1/2)^2 on both sides
x^2-x+(1/2)^2 +y^2+y+(1/2)^2= -1+2(1/2)^2
(x-1/2)^2+(y+1/2)^2=-1/2

This last equation means its a circle of radious sqrt(-1/2) with center in (1/2,-1/2).

So my question its why i get complex radious, and what I am doing wrong.
Thanks
Actually my hint was correct, sorry for my own confusion.
Try your calculation for a non zero z (don't pick a specific value), and see for which z you get a real radius.

1. What is a level set in mathematics?

A level set in mathematics is a set of points in a function where the output value is constant. This means that if we graph the function, the level set will appear as a curve or line that connects all the points with the same output value. In other words, it is a visualization of the points where the function has the same value.

2. What are some common problems with level sets?

One common problem with level sets is that they can become distorted or disconnected when dealing with complex functions. This can make it difficult to accurately visualize the function and identify key points. Another issue is that the level sets may not be well-defined for certain functions, making it challenging to determine the output value at specific points.

3. How are level sets used in scientific research?

Level sets are used in a variety of scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science. They can help researchers visualize and analyze complex functions, making it easier to understand and study different phenomena. Level sets are also used in image processing and computer vision to identify object boundaries and track changes over time.

4. Can level sets be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, level sets can be applied to real-world problems, such as in medical imaging, weather forecasting, and financial modeling. By using level sets, scientists and researchers can analyze and interpret data to make predictions and decisions in various fields. They can also be used in optimization problems to find the optimal solution for a given function.

5. How do level sets relate to contour lines?

Level sets and contour lines are closely related concepts. Both represent points in a function where the output value is constant. However, contour lines are typically used for two-dimensional functions, while level sets can be used for functions with any number of variables. Contour lines are also often used to represent topographical features, while level sets are more commonly used in mathematical and scientific contexts.