What is the Path and Speed of a Proton in a Magnetic Field?

In summary: And how does that compare to the separation of the plates?What radius do you get for a B-field only version of this problem? And how does that compare to the separation of the plates?In summary, the problem involves a proton with a velocity of 8x10^5 m/s in an electric field of 10^6 V/m and a magnetic field of 1.5 T. The shape of the proton's path is a uniform circular movement, but the E field and B field cause it to be deflected in different directions. To find the final speed of the proton when it comes out, both the E field and B field must be taken into account, possibly through integration. However, there is some
aldaris565

Homework Statement

A proton travles with a velocity 8x10^5 m/s E=10^6 V/m and B= 1.5 T. Draw the path of the proton and what is speed of the proton when it comes out?

Here an image:

attachment.php?attachmentid=3457&d=1297476699.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
As per PF rules, you need to show your own attempt before we can help you.

Please don't double post. Use this one, not the one in General Physics.

Yeah ok, I'm newbie in this forum... that's what i did :

[PLAIN]http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/3104/imagengh.jpg

But i don't know what else to do.. please help me =)

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so you have the method, but where's your working?

Well just replace with the values given...I'm stuck i don't know if that's correct or not... I decided do it with all variables and then replace them...

I guess i sould integrate the speed getting the position (x,y) but I'm not sure if that's correct...

I need help.. I HAVE to resolve this problem...

I need ideas you don't have to resolve all the problem.. just give me ideas!

aldaris565 said:
Well just replace with the values given...I'm stuck i don't know if that's correct or not... I decided do it with all variables and then replace them...

I guess i sould integrate the speed getting the position (x,y) but I'm not sure if that's correct...

I need help.. I HAVE to resolve this problem...

I need ideas you don't have to resolve all the problem.. just give me ideas!

What is the shape of the path of a charged particle in a uniform magnetic field?

You correctly list the Lorentz force as the force that is acting on the proton in the magnetic field (there is no E field, right?). What does that Lorentz force do to the path of the proton? Draw the path, and plug in the numbers for the force. The force acts over a finite distance of the proton's trajectory -- what is the resulting trajectory when the proton leaves the B-field region?

berkeman said:
What is the shape of the path of a charged particle in a uniform magnetic field?

You correctly list the Lorentz force as the force that is acting on the proton in the magnetic field (there is no E field, right?). What does that Lorentz force do to the path of the proton? Draw the path, and plug in the numbers for the force. The force acts over a finite distance of the proton's trajectory -- what is the resulting trajectory when the proton leaves the B-field region?

But in the problem exist an E field... the trajectory doesn't have to be exact... i guess it's a Uniform Circular Movement.

If i'd do:

First for t=0 -> x=0 y=0.05
Then:
Finding t=? for x=0.3 y=0.05

That would be correct¿? then i replace that value of t in the formula of the speed... would i get the final speed (when it comes out) ??

aldaris565 said:
But in the problem exist an E field... the trajectory doesn't have to be exact... i guess it's a Uniform Circular Movement.

If i'd do:

First for t=0 -> x=0 y=0.05
Then:
Finding t=? for x=0.3 y=0.05

That would be correct¿? then i replace that value of t in the formula of the speed... would i get the final speed (when it comes out) ??

Ah yes, I missed that there is an E field too. So you have to use the full Lorentz force in the region between the plates, and account for the deflecting forces from the E and B fields.

If it were only the B-field, then yes, the particle would trace a circular path. Given the B-field direction shown, would the proton be deflected up or down by that B-field?

But you do need to add in the contribution of the E field as well. Which way will the E-field try to deflect the proton?

Since both the E and B fields are constant in the region between the plates, you should be able to just add their contributions. However, the bending path will make the proton stay between the plates a little longer than if it traveled in a straight line, so there may be an integration involved...

Maybe try solving separately for the E-field case and the B-field case, to see about what you can expect for the combined case, before doing any complicated integrals...

The integrals are no so complicated... but in another forum someone told me that the proton never leaves and the path i guess it's not a straight line, because qE is diferent that q(vxB) [q(vxB) and qE are in opossite directions but they aren't equals to eliminate them...]

aldaris565 said:
The integrals are no so complicated... but in another forum someone told me that the proton never leaves and the path i guess it's not a straight line, because qE is diferent that q(vxB) [q(vxB) and qE are in opossite directions but they aren't equals to eliminate them...]

What radius do you get for a B-field only version of this problem?

What is the problem with the Earth's magnetic field?

The Earth's magnetic field is weakening and its poles are shifting, which can have significant impacts on our planet's climate and navigation systems.

What causes the Earth's magnetic field to weaken?

Scientists believe that changes in the Earth's core, specifically the flow of molten iron, are responsible for the weakening of the magnetic field.

How does the weakening of the magnetic field affect us?

The weakening of the magnetic field can lead to an increase in solar radiation reaching the Earth's surface, which can be harmful to human health and also disrupt communication and navigation systems.

Is the Earth's magnetic field completely disappearing?

No, the Earth's magnetic field has weakened in the past and then recovered. However, it is uncertain how long it will take for the field to recover this time, and some scientists believe that a complete reversal of the poles may occur.

What are scientists doing to study and monitor the Earth's magnetic field?

Scientists use satellites, ground-based instruments, and mathematical models to continuously monitor and study the Earth's magnetic field. This helps us better understand the causes and impacts of changes in the magnetic field.