Solving ODE Problem: y'=(y^3)/2, y(0)=1

• Thread starter wakko101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the conversation discusses solving the ODE y'=(y^3)/2 with initial value y(0)=1. The individual mentions having trouble separating the equation and ending up with a negative number in the square root. The expert advises that complex numbers can be used and reminds to include constants of integration. The conversation then delves into finding the correct solution, with the expert providing guidance and the individual eventually arriving at the solution y = sqrt(1/(1-x)).
wakko101
I'm having trouble finding the solution to the following ODE:

y'=(y^3)/2 with initial value y(0) = 1

I try to separate it but end up with

y^2=-1/x

which makes no sense, since you can't take the square root of a negative number.

Any help?

Cheers,
Lauren. =)

Physics news on Phys.org
You *can* take the square root of a negative number, but the answer will be complex. Don't forget your constants of integration also, which should help you solve this problem.

Last edited:
Even worse 1/x is not defined at x=0. You are forgetting to put in an integration constant.

Good point with the constants. So...

1/(y^3) dy = 1/2 dx Integrate both sides

-1/(2y^2) = x/2 + c

y^2 = 1/(-x - 2c)

this solves the problem with it being undefined at 0, but at this point, I guess I need to add my complex number i?

y = i/(x+2c), which would make c=i/2 and so y = 2i/(2x + ci)...I think.

Is this right?

we haven't really used complex numbers so far in this particular course, which was why I was hesitant to use it in the answer.

Cheers,
L.

Nooo. Just put y=0 and x=1 and solve for C. Those are your initial conditions. I don't think you have to solve for y.

okay...so, then, plugging in my initial values at the Y^2 point, I get:

1^2=-1/(0+2c) ==> c=-1/2 ==> y^2=-1/(x-1) ==>

y^2 = 1/(1-x) ==> y = sqrt(1/(1-x))

Is that it?

Cheers,
L.

Yep, that's it.

Thanks...much appreciated. =)

1. How do you solve an ODE problem?

To solve an ODE problem, you need to first identify the type of ODE and then apply the appropriate method, such as separation of variables, substitution, or integrating factor.

2. What is the equation for this specific ODE problem?

The equation for this ODE problem is y' = (y^3)/2, with an initial condition of y(0) = 1.

3. What type of ODE is this problem?

This is a first-order, nonlinear ODE.

4. How do you solve this specific ODE problem?

To solve this ODE problem, we can use the method of separating variables. We first rewrite the equation as (2/y^3)dy = dx, then integrate both sides to get y^-2 = x + C. Plugging in the initial condition, we get the solution y = (2/(1-2x))^(1/2).

5. Can you explain the significance of the initial condition in this ODE problem?

The initial condition y(0) = 1 represents the value of the dependent variable, y, at the initial time or starting point of the problem. It is necessary to have an initial condition in order to uniquely determine the solution of an ODE problem.