Problem with pressure drop in pipeline

In summary, the conversation discussed two observations: first, that as the water temperature increases, the pressure drop through the pipeline also increases, and second, that the friction factor increases with decreasing velocity, except for a temperature range of 20 to 30 where the trend is decreasing. These observations could be explained by the increase in viscosity and turbulence at higher temperatures. More information is needed for a complete understanding of the situation.
discreet544
Hi Folks;

As we all knew, and I used to experimentally observe it, as the temperature of water increases, pressure drop through pipeline (kPa/m) decreases. Now, I am getting the opposite, while the results are so consistent and reproducible ! As the water temperature increases, pressure drop increases too ! I have calibrated the pressure transducers, and those look fine. Any guess ? Has anybody seen such a situation ?

Also, as we all knew again, with decreasing velocity, friction factor increases (remember Moody diagram). Now for my case, I am getting decreasing trend for temperature range of 20 to 30, while the trend is increasing for above 30 !

I am running water in a 2" closed-loop pipeline of 46 m length, with a magnetic flow meter and digital pressure transducers.

Thanks;

Engineering news on Phys.org
</code>The reason for this behavior could be due to the fact that as the temperature of water increases, the viscosity of the water also increases, leading to an increase in the friction losses. This additional friction loss would be the cause of the increase in pressure drop.As far as the second observation is concerned, the reason could be due to the fact that at higher temperatures, the water molecules move faster and can cause turbulence in the fluid, leading to an increase in the friction losses. This could lead to an increase in the friction factor as well. It would be helpful if you could provide more details about the water flow rate, the type of pipe, etc. so that a more accurate explanation can be provided.

What causes pressure drop in pipelines?

The most common cause of pressure drop in pipelines is friction. As the fluid flows through the pipeline, it creates friction against the walls of the pipe, which leads to a decrease in pressure. Other factors that can contribute to pressure drop include changes in elevation, bends and turns in the pipeline, and restrictions or obstructions in the flow.

How does pipe diameter affect pressure drop?

The diameter of the pipe has a significant impact on pressure drop. A larger diameter pipe will result in less friction and therefore less pressure drop compared to a smaller diameter pipe. In fact, the pressure drop is inversely proportional to the fourth power of the pipe diameter, meaning that even a small increase in pipe diameter can greatly reduce pressure drop.

What is the relationship between flow rate and pressure drop?

The flow rate and pressure drop in a pipeline are directly related. As the flow rate increases, so does the pressure drop. This is because a higher flow rate means more fluid is moving through the pipeline, resulting in increased friction and therefore a greater pressure drop. Additionally, changes in flow rate can also affect the viscosity of the fluid, which can further impact pressure drop.

How can pressure drop be calculated?

Pressure drop can be calculated using various equations, depending on the specific conditions of the pipeline. These equations take into account factors such as pipe diameter, flow rate, fluid properties, and any obstructions in the pipeline. It is important to accurately calculate pressure drop in order to ensure the safe and efficient operation of the pipeline.

What strategies can be used to reduce pressure drop in pipelines?

There are several strategies that can be used to reduce pressure drop in pipelines. These include using pipes with larger diameters, minimizing bends and turns, and avoiding obstructions in the flow. Additionally, choosing a fluid with a lower viscosity can also help reduce pressure drop. Regular maintenance and cleaning of pipelines can also help prevent buildup and blockages that can contribute to pressure drop.