Solving For Efficiency & Wasted Thermal Energy in Coal-Fired Plant

In summary, the conversation discusses a coal fired plant that generates 600MW of electric power by using 4.8 x 10^6 kg of coal per day. The heat of combustion of the coal is 3.3 x 10^7 J/kg and the plant operates at an overall efficiency of about 46%. The conversation also touches upon the concept of thermal energy waste and the incorrect use of Carnot efficiency in this scenario. The correct approach is to use the Rankine cycle and calculate the wasted thermal energy using the first law of thermodynamics.
roland8727
Seriously Stuck..

A coal fired plant generates 600MW of electric power. The plant uses 4.8 x 10^6 kg of coal a day. The heat of combustion of coal is 3.3 x 10^7 J/kg. The steam that drives the turbines is at a temperature of 573K, and the exhaust water is 310K.
1.) What is the overall efficiency of the plant for generating electric power?
2.) How much thermal energy was wasted?

Ok..this is what I THINK I know...Qh= 3.3 x 10^7 J/kg
Th= 573K Tc= 310K
mass= 4.8 x 10^6 kg

Therefore Carnot effeciency is e=Th-Tc/Th
so Carnot eff. worked out is about 46%

AND I know that P=W/t = Fd/T = FV
Now...I get lost...I know I need to find the Work, to find my Qc...but they only gave me power in MW, and I need to find wasted thermal energy?? Any thoughts??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
roland8727 said:
Ok..this is what I THINK I know...Qh= 3.3 x 10^7 J/kg
Th= 573K Tc= 310K
mass= 4.8 x 10^6 kg

Therefore Carnot effeciency is e=Th-Tc/Th
so Carnot eff. worked out is about 46%

AND I know that P=W/t = Fd/T = FV
Now...I get lost...I know I need to find the Work, to find my Qc...but they only gave me power in MW, and I need to find wasted thermal energy?? Any thoughts??

Wrong. Why are you using the Carnot efficiency? Is there Carnot anywhere here?. Which cycle is using the plant? Sure it is not the Carnot cycle. It's the Rankine cycle.

-Thermal power extracted from the hot focus:

[tex] \dot Q_h=\dot m_{fuel} h_{fuel} [/tex] where h is the heat of combustion and m is the mass flow of fuel.

- Electric Power generated=Mechanical Power extracted from the turbine rotor (assuming electric efficiency near 1). So that, the efficiency is given by:

[tex] \eta=\frac{\dot W_{electric}}{ \dot Q_h}[/tex]

Due to the first principle:

[tex] \dot W= \dot Q_h-\dot Q_c[/tex] being the last term the heat power wasted to the cold focus. The question of your problem about wasting thermal energy is bad formulated. It means the heat power wasted. You know, due to the second principle some amount of heat extracted from the fuel has to be wasted to the cold environment.

What do you think?

Thanks!...I found the Qh by using the Qh=mh equation...

I found the Work by saying that there is 600MW of Power a day...so, 6 x 10^8 Watts of Power a day, 3600 times 24 will equal 8.64 x10^4 seconds in a day...

P=W/T 6 x 10^8W (8.64 x 10^4s) = Work

And then I have to solve for Qc for thermal energy waste.
Using the first law Qh= W + Qc

And after much thought I think I got the right answer...lol.

Of course, I'm not going to check the numerics, but if you want an advice, think of why did you used the Carnot efficiency. It is a misconception you have to be sure you have understood why it is wrong. All of student begineers here seem to run automatically towards Carnot efficiency when you hear the word efficiency. It is not the first time.

1. What is thermal energy and why is it important to consider in coal-fired plants?

Thermal energy is the energy that is generated by the heat produced from burning coal in a power plant. It is important to consider because it is the primary source of energy that drives the turbines to generate electricity.

2. How can wasted thermal energy be reduced in coal-fired plants?

Wasted thermal energy can be reduced through various methods, such as improving the efficiency of the combustion process, using advanced technologies for capturing and utilizing waste heat, and implementing energy management systems to optimize operations.

3. What are the potential benefits of solving for efficiency and reducing wasted thermal energy in coal-fired plants?

The benefits of solving for efficiency and reducing wasted thermal energy in coal-fired plants include cost savings, reduced environmental impact, and increased sustainability. By utilizing thermal energy more efficiently, less coal is needed to produce the same amount of electricity, resulting in cost savings and reduced emissions.

4. What are some challenges in solving for efficiency and wasted thermal energy in coal-fired plants?

Some challenges in solving for efficiency and wasted thermal energy in coal-fired plants include the high initial investment cost for implementing advanced technologies, potential technical limitations, and the need for continuous monitoring and maintenance to ensure optimal performance.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to reducing wasted thermal energy in coal-fired plants?

One potential drawback is that the initial investment cost for implementing efficiency solutions may be high, which could result in a longer payback period for the plant. Additionally, some efficiency measures may require additional resources and maintenance, which could add to operational costs. However, in the long run, the benefits of reduced wasted thermal energy far outweigh these potential drawbacks.