1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with rectangular and triangular weir

1. Sep 1, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rectangular weir (Cd = 0.623) thin crest without lateral contraction of 1 meter in length and a triangular weir (theta = 90 °) are located on the same channel. If the apex of the triangular weir (Cd = 0.593) is 0.15 meters below the crest of the rectangular weir and neglecting the approach speed determine a) the load on landfills when landings are equal, b) If the discharge of the rectangular weir is greater, determine the load should be for differential flow is maximum

2. Relevant equations
    Q( rectangular) =1.84 LH^(3/2)

Q(triangular)= 1.40H^(5/2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    a)

Qrectangular = Q triangular
    1.84 (1) H1^(3/2) =1.40H2^(5/2). H1: Load rectangular weir, H2: Load triangular weir
    H1= H2 -0.15

1.2515(H2)^(5/3) -1.5(H2) =-0.2251
    I have two answers:
    H2=0.21, H2=1.04 m

Is it right??

b) I think I can derivate d(Qrec -Qtriangular) /dH =0
    But I dont know if I derivate respect to H1 or H2

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted