Trigonometric Problem Solving Using Identities

In summary, the conversation discusses using trigonometric identities to solve problems involving given trigonometric values and unknown values. The first problem involves finding cos A given sin A = -4/5 and using the Pythagorean theorem to find the missing side of a right triangle. The second problem involves solving an equation with a trigonometric function and a constant. The third problem asks which identity to use to solve a given equation.
Caldus
First off, I'm not looking for answers, just trying to figure how I would solve certain problems.

If I had a problem such as:

sin A = -4/5
(-pie < A < -pie/2)
Using this, find cos A, tan A, cot A, sec A, csc A.

I know that I have to use identities, but how would I go about finding cos A? I can't find an identity that will allow me to find cos A using sin A -4/5. I guess I could use sin^2 -4/5 + cos^2 A = 1, but how would I solve that?

Also, I have absolutely no idea where to start with this problem:

-4cos((2x/3) - pie) + 2 = 0

Finally, which identity do I use for this problem:

tan(4x/5) = -1

Help much appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hmm:

Sin=Opposite/Hypotenuse=-4/5
Pythagoras: a2+b2=c2
Cos=Adjacent/Hypotenuse

To expand on NateTG's excellent suggestion:
Draw a right triangle with one angle at the origin of a coordinate system, one leg of length 4 (downward since we want "-4") and hypotenuse of length 4. Use the Pythagorean theorem to find the other leg. Once you know all three sides of the triangle, you can immediately calculate all the trig functions.

(NateTG? "Nate the great"?)

1. What is the difference between sine and tangent?

Sine and tangent are both trigonometric functions used to calculate angles and sides in a right triangle. The main difference is that sine is the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse, while tangent is the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side.

2. Why do we encounter problems with sine and tangent?

Problems with sine and tangent can occur when the given angle or sides in a triangle are not in the appropriate range for the functions to be applied. This can lead to incorrect calculations or undefined values.

3. How do we solve problems with sine and tangent?

To solve problems with sine and tangent, it is important to first understand the properties and limitations of these trigonometric functions. Then, we can use the appropriate formulas and identities to manipulate the given values and solve for the desired angle or side.

4. Can sine and tangent be used for non-right triangles?

No, sine and tangent are only applicable to right triangles. For non-right triangles, we use other trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

5. What are some real-life applications of sine and tangent?

Sine and tangent are used in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and architecture, to calculate angles and distances. They are also used in navigation and astronomy to determine the position of objects in relation to the observer.