Problem With solving the Eigenvalues of Tight Binding Method

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties faced by a forum member in constructing the band structure of graphene using the tight-binding method with slater-koster correction. The possible reasons for encountering the same eigenvalues at different points in the Brillouin zone are discussed, including accuracy of the code, symmetry of the graphene lattice, size of the system, and limitations of the tight-binding method. Suggestions are given to help solve the issue, such as double-checking the code, incorporating symmetry, and comparing results with other methods. It is also recommended to seek guidance from more experienced scientists or consult relevant literature.
omaralrawi
Dear All, this is my first post on this forum and hopefully I can get what I want. .
I am trying to build the band structure of graphene using the tight-binding method based on slater-koster correction. I use a special code to construct both Hamiltonian and overlapping matrix. I have seen when I try to diagonalize the final matrix to find the eigenvalues, the eight eigenvalues are same even if I move from Gamma- K - M. I presume there is a reason for that I don't understand it. So please I need your help to solve my issue.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is understandable to encounter some difficulties when trying to construct the band structure of graphene using the tight-binding method with slater-koster correction. As a fellow scientist, I would like to offer some insights and suggestions that may help you in solving your issue.

Firstly, it is important to ensure that your code for constructing the Hamiltonian and overlapping matrix is accurate and reliable. Any small errors in the code can greatly affect the results and may lead to the same eigenvalues regardless of the position in the Brillouin zone. I suggest double-checking your code and comparing it with other reliable sources to ensure its accuracy.

Secondly, it is possible that your code is not taking into account the symmetry of the graphene lattice. Graphene has a hexagonal lattice structure, which has a high degree of symmetry. This symmetry plays a crucial role in the band structure and can result in degenerate eigenvalues at certain points in the Brillouin zone. Therefore, it is important to incorporate this symmetry in your calculations to obtain accurate results.

Another factor that may contribute to the same eigenvalues is the size of the system you are studying. Graphene is a two-dimensional material, and the size of the system can greatly affect the band structure. If your system is too small, it may not capture the full behavior of the band structure, and hence, you may obtain the same eigenvalues.

In addition, it is worth noting that the tight-binding method is an approximation and may not accurately capture the band structure of graphene. It is always beneficial to compare your results with other methods, such as density functional theory, to ensure the accuracy of your calculations.

I hope these suggestions will help you in solving your issue. If you continue to face difficulties, I suggest seeking the guidance of a more experienced scientist or consulting relevant literature on the topic. Good luck with your research!

1. What is the Eigenvalue problem in the Tight Binding Method?

The Eigenvalue problem in the Tight Binding Method refers to the process of solving for the energy levels (Eigenvalues) of electrons in a crystalline solid by using a mathematical model that considers the atomic orbitals of the atoms in the crystal.

2. Why is solving the Eigenvalues in the Tight Binding Method difficult?

Solving the Eigenvalue problem in the Tight Binding Method can be difficult because it requires a large amount of computational power and can involve complex mathematical equations. Additionally, the accuracy of the results can be affected by the choice of parameters and approximations used in the model.

3. What are the main challenges in solving the Eigenvalues of the Tight Binding Method?

The main challenges in solving the Eigenvalues of the Tight Binding Method include accurately representing the atomic orbitals, determining the appropriate model parameters, and ensuring numerical stability in the calculations. Additionally, the size and complexity of the crystal can also significantly affect the difficulty of the problem.

4. How can the accuracy of Eigenvalue calculations in the Tight Binding Method be improved?

To improve the accuracy of Eigenvalue calculations in the Tight Binding Method, researchers can use more advanced models that consider additional factors such as spin-orbit coupling and electron-electron interactions. Additionally, incorporating more data or experimental results can also help refine the model and improve the accuracy of the results.

5. What are the potential applications of solving the Eigenvalues in the Tight Binding Method?

The ability to accurately solve for Eigenvalues in the Tight Binding Method has many potential applications in materials science and engineering. It can help researchers understand the electronic properties of materials, design new materials with specific properties, and optimize existing materials for various applications such as in electronic devices, solar cells, and batteries.