Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with symbolic intergration

1. Jul 29, 2008 #1

I was wondering if anyone can help me. I've got a bit of a maths problem. I'm trying to convolve two functions together then integrating the resulting function between limits. I'm using the symbolic toolbox in Matlab and I keep getting an error. The equations I am using are show below:

f1(x) = (x/mean)^0.5*exp(-(x+mean)/(2*sigma^2)).*besseli(1,sqrt(x.*mean)/sigma^2))/(2*sigma^2

f2(x) = 1/(pi*sqrt(4*P_*XT - (x-XT)^2))

Using int(f1(x)*f2(x)) function results in a:
    "Warning: Explicit integral could not be found."
    > In sym.int at 58

I was wondering if there is something I can do to enable me to obtain a symbolic result, as I then need to take this result and integrate between two limits. I thought about performing this calculation numerically using quadl function, but this causes further problems with the integration/summation. What I can tell is the problem lies with performing the integration with the exp and Bessel function together in f1(x).

I appreciate any help you guys and girls can give me.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted