Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with tensor equation in Cartan formalism

1. Sep 8, 2014 #1
    I have some problems verifying a particular equation in the Cartan formalism of GR. Basically I want to prove the following equation in three dimensions

$$\epsilon_{abc} e^a\wedge R^{bc}=\sqrt{|g|}Rd^3 x$$

where R is the Ricci scalar and $R^{bc}$ is the Ricci curvature

Attempt at a solution:

$$\epsilon_{abc} e^a\wedge R^{bc}=\epsilon_{abc} e_\mu^ae_\alpha^be_\beta^c R^{\alpha\beta}_{\nu\rho} dx^\mu\wedge dx^\nu\wedge dx^\rho$$

Now the idea is that the number of dimensions and the Levi-Civita tensor and the antisymmetry of the three-form forces the set {alpha,beta}={nu,rho}. This will give the expression

\begin{align}\epsilon_{abc} e^a\wedge R^{bc}&=\epsilon_{abc} e_0^ae_1^be_2^c R^{12}_{12} dx^0\wedge dx^1\wedge dx^2+\\&\epsilon_{abc} e_0^ae_1^be_2^c R^{12}_{21} dx^0\wedge dx^2\wedge dx^1+\\&\epsilon_{abc} e_0^ae_2^be_1^c R^{21}_{21} dx^0\wedge dx^2\wedge dx^1+\\&\epsilon_{abc} e_0^ae_2^be_1^c R^{21}_{12} dx^0\wedge dx^1\wedge dx^2+({\rm cyclic\,permutations})\end{align}

The problem now is that the Ricci scalar is $$R^{12}_{12}+R^{21}_{21}+({\rm cyclic\,permutations})$$, so when counting the number of terms I obtain $$2\sqrt{|g|}Rd^3 x$$ which is wrong by a factor of 2. Can anyone see where I made a mistake?

(Maybe this post belongs in the Homework section since the question is definitely homework-like, but since it is NOT homework and the rules/guidelines do not say anything about "homework-like questions", I wasnt sure...)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted