Solving Problems with Tensor in 2+1 Dimensions

• Thread starter creepypasta13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tensors
In summary, the professor explains that in three spacetime dimensions, an antisymmetric Lorentz tensor is equivalent to an axial Lorentz vector. This means that in 3D, a massive photon can exist despite the unbroken gauge invariance of the electromagnetic field. The Lagrangian for this scenario is given, but there may be a typo in the last part regarding the epsilon tensor. The professor clarifies that the tensor can have indices that are not all upstairs or all downstairs, and this is not a typo. However, there is an error in the calculation of the Euler-Lagrange equations that needs to be corrected.
creepypasta13
I'm having a lot of problems with tensors. Here is what the professor in class told us in the lecture notes

In three spacetime dimensions (two space plus one time) an antisymmetric Lorentz tensor
F[itex]^{\mu\nu}[/itex] = -F[itex]^{\nu\mu}[/itex] is equivalent to an axial Lorentz vector, F[itex]^{\mu\nu}[/itex] = e[itex]^{\mu\nu\lambda}[/itex]F[itex]_{\lambda}[/itex]. Consequently, in 3D
one can have a massive photon despite unbroken gauge invariance of the electromagnetic
field A[itex]_{\mu}[/itex]. Indeed, consider the following Lagrangian:

L = -(1/2)*F[itex]_{\lambda}[/itex]F[itex]^{\lambda}[/itex] + (m/2)*F[itex]_{\lambda}[/itex]A[itex]^{\lambda}[/itex] (6)

where

F[itex]_{\lambda}[/itex](x) = (1/2)*[itex]\epsilon[/itex][itex]_{\lambda\mu\nu}[/itex]F[itex]^{\mu\nu}[/itex] = [itex]\epsilon[/itex][itex]_{\lambda\mu\nu}[/itex][itex]\partial[/itex][itex]^{\mu}[/itex]A[itex]^{\nu}[/itex],

or in components, F[itex]_{0}[/itex] = -B, F1 = +E[itex]^{2}[/itex], F[itex]_{2}[/itex] = -E[itex]^{1}[/itex].

In 2+1 dimension, [itex]\epsilon[/itex][itex]^{\alpha\beta\gamma}[/itex][itex]\epsilon[/itex][itex]_{\alpha}[/itex][itex]^{\mu\nu}[/itex] = g[itex]^{\alpha\mu}[/itex]g[itex]^{\beta\nu}[/itex] - g[itex]^{\alpha\nu}[/itex]g[itex]^{\beta\mu}[/itex]
That last part above may be a typo because I've never seen an epsilon without all of its indices either upstairs or downstairs

I'm having trouble with two things
1. Using the last part above, does that mean that
[itex]\epsilon[/itex][itex]_{\lambda\mu\nu}[/itex][itex]\epsilon[/itex][itex]^{\lambda\mu\nu}[/itex] = g[itex]^{\lambda\mu}[/itex]g[itex]^{\mu\nu}[/itex] - g[itex]^{\lambda\nu}[/itex]g[itex]^{\mu\mu}[/itex] = g[itex]^{\lambda\mu}[/itex]g[itex]^{\mu\nu}[/itex] - g[itex]^{\lambda\nu}[/itex]?

If so, would that give [itex]\epsilon[/itex][itex]_{\lambda\mu\nu}[/itex][itex]\epsilon[/itex][itex]^{\lambda\mu\nu}[/itex][itex]\partial[/itex][itex]^{\mu}[/itex]A[itex]^{\nu}[/itex][itex]\partial[/itex][itex]_{\mu}[/itex]A[itex]_{\nu}[/itex] = [itex]\partial[/itex][itex]^{\mu}[/itex]A[itex]^{\nu}[/itex][itex]\partial[/itex][itex]^{\nu}[/itex]A[itex]^{\mu}[/itex] - [itex]\partial[/itex][itex]^{\mu}[/itex]A[itex]^{\nu}[/itex][itex]\partial[/itex][itex]_{\mu}[/itex]A[itex]^{\lambda}[/itex] ?2. But when I tried to write out the Lagrangian, I got

L = -(1/2)[itex]\epsilon[/itex][itex]_{\lambda\mu\nu}[/itex][itex]\partial[/itex][itex]^{\mu}[/itex]A[itex]^{\nu}[/itex][itex]\partial[/itex][itex]_{\mu}[/itex]A[itex]_{\nu}[/itex] + (m/2)[itex]\epsilon[/itex][itex]_{\lambda\mu\nu}[/itex][itex]\partial[/itex][itex]^{\mu}[/itex]A[itex]^{\nu}[/itex]A[itex]^{\lambda}[/itex]

so
[itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial A^{\lambda}}[/itex] = (m/2)[itex]\epsilon[/itex][itex]_{\lambda\mu\nu}[/itex] [itex]\partial[/itex][itex]^{\mu}[/itex]A[itex]^{\nu}[/itex]

and
[itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial (\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu}) }[/itex] = -[itex]\epsilon[/itex][itex]_{\lambda\mu\nu}[/itex][itex]\epsilon[/itex][itex]^{\lambda\mu\nu}[/itex][itex]\partial[/itex][itex]^{\mu}[/itex]A[itex]^{\nu}[/itex] + (m/2)[itex]\epsilon[/itex][itex]_{\lambda\mu\nu}[/itex]g[itex]^{\mu\nu}[/itex]A[itex]^{\lambda}[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I can help with [itex]\epsilon_{\alpha\beta\gamma} \epsilon^{\alpha\beta\gamma}[/itex]. The epsilon tensor can only have three values (-1, 0, 1), and we are contracting two of them. So we are going to have pairs of -1s and 1s and 0s begin multiplied and added together. That is
[tex]
\epsilon_{\alpha\beta\gamma} \epsilon^{\alpha\beta\gamma}= \epsilon_{000}\epsilon^{000} +...+ \epsilon_{123}\epsilon^{123} +...+ \epsilon_{213}\epsilon^{213}+...[/tex]
So considering these will be something like (-1)(-1)+(0)(0)+...+(-1)(-1)+... etc... what will the sum be?

Unless you made a typo... in which case you are referring to the identity that two epsilon tensors contracting an index turn into two permutations of the remaining indecies for the metric, which is like what you wrote. These identities are on the wiki page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permutation_symbol

is the epsilon that does not have ALL of its indices either upstairs or downstairs a typo? If not, then the usual product of epsilons is of no use since they will now follow the relation the prof gave us in 2+1 dimensions

The prof just told me the indices not being ALL up or downstairs is not a typo. I still would like to know if I'm calculating the Euler lagrange equations correctly or not.

There's a basic property of tensor notation that you're overlooking - a term can only have two occurrences of the same index in it, one upstairs and the other downstairs. You need to correct this before anything else can be said about your derivation.

so you're saying that to fix the error, I should set F[itex]_{\lambda}[/itex]F[itex]^{\lambda}[/itex] = (1/4)[itex]\epsilon[/itex][itex]_{\lambda\mu\nu}[/itex]F[itex]^{\mu\nu}[/itex][itex]\epsilon[/itex][itex]^{\lambda\alpha\beta}[/itex]F[itex]_{\alpha\beta}[/itex]?

If so, that still would not get rid of the m term in the equation I got for [itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial (\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu})}[/itex], which I think is where the problem is

If I'm not mistaken that looks good, and you can write [itex]\epsilon_{\alpha\beta\gamma}\epsilon^{\alpha\delta\lambda}[/itex] as an identity in Kronecker deltas by permuting the indices.

I forgot to say that I recalculated

[itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial (\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu})}[/itex] = -([itex]\partial^{\mu}[/itex]A[itex]^{\nu}[/itex] - [itex]\partial^{\nu}[/itex]A[itex]^{\mu}[/itex])) + (m/2)[itex]\epsilon[/itex][itex]_{\lambda}[/itex][itex]^{\mu\nu}[/itex]A[itex]^{\lambda}[/itex]

1. What is a tensor in 2+1 dimensions?

A tensor in 2+1 dimensions is a mathematical object that represents the relationships between different quantities in three-dimensional space. It is a generalization of vectors and matrices, and can be used to solve a variety of problems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

2. How is solving problems with tensor in 2+1 dimensions different from other methods?

Solving problems with tensor in 2+1 dimensions allows for a more efficient and concise approach to solving complex problems involving three-dimensional space. Unlike traditional methods, tensors can represent multiple quantities at once, making it easier to analyze and understand the relationships between them.

3. Can tensors in 2+1 dimensions be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, tensors in 2+1 dimensions are widely used in various fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science, to solve real-world problems. They have been applied to problems such as fluid dynamics, image processing, and machine learning, among others.

4. What are some common applications of tensors in 2+1 dimensions?

Some common applications of tensors in 2+1 dimensions include analyzing stress and strain in materials, studying the movement of fluids, and solving optimization problems. They are also used in computer graphics for image processing and animation.

5. Are there any limitations to using tensors in 2+1 dimensions?

While tensors in 2+1 dimensions have many advantages, they do have some limitations. They are most effective for problems in three-dimensional space, and may not be as useful for higher dimensions. Additionally, understanding and manipulating tensors can be challenging, requiring a strong background in mathematics.