Proving the Average Winning Amount in a Game with n Moves and Probability p

• Thread starter trenekas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the average winning amount in a game with n moves and a probability of winning p. The formula for the average winning amount is (1+n(1-p)^n+1-(n+1)(1-p)^n)/p. The conversation also includes a discussion about finding the sum of a composition function.
trenekas
Hello. I have a problem with one task. The task is:

Suppose that you playing the game. You have n moves. on each move you win the game with probability p. Your winning amount is equal to move number. For example if you win in first move your winning amount is 1, if you win in n move, your winning amount is equal to n, and if you not win, your winning amount is 0. Need to prove that average winning amount is: (1+n(1-p)^n+1-(n+1)(1-p)^n)/p

My try:

1/n [itex]\sum[/itex] k*p(1-p)^k-1, for k=1 to n.
And tryed to do something but nothing goes on. For example:
1/n(n*p*(1-p)^n-1+(n-1)*p*(1-p)^n-2+...+(n-n+1)*p*(1-p)n-n
but can't get the right answer.
Thanks for helping.

Physics news on Phys.org
hello trenekas! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)

what is ∑ kak-1 ? :smile:

(and why are you dividing by n ?)

ok i don't need divide by n :) :D but later ill try to solve that because now I'm in the university lol. when i'll back home :D

tiny-tim said:
what is ∑ kak-1 ? :smile:

what does kak-1 remind you of? :wink:

derivative of a^k:D ok thanks. now ill try myself.

Last edited:
ok. its time to ask the help :D
after few rearrangements:
p * Ʃ k(1-p)k-1
So k(1-p)k-1=((1-p)k)'
First of all i calculated the sum of ((1-p)k)
Ʃ((1-p)k)= (1-(1-p)n+1)/p
When calculated derivative of that:
-(n+1)(1-p)n*p-1(1-(1-p)n+1)/p2
And all this multiply by p.
And i got:
-(n+1)(1-p)n*p-1(1-(1-p)n+1)/p=-(n+1)(1-p)n*p-1+(1-p)n+1)/p
but it is different than i need to get. Where is mistake? Or no mistake? Thanks

hi trenekas! :smile:

it's a bit difficult to tell, because you're using 1-p instead of a,

but i think if you replace the p in …
trenekas said:
-(n+1)(1-p)n*p

by p-1, and then adjust the rest to make up for it, you'll get the same as wolfram

tiny-tim said:
hi trenekas! :smile:

it's a bit difficult to tell, because you're using 1-p instead of a,

but i think if you replace the p in …

by p-1, and then adjust the rest to make up for it, you'll get the same as wolfram
but i can't replace because of rules of composition functions. maybe somwhere else is mistake. :confused:

yes you can, just subtract (n+1)(1-p)n from the first part, and add it to the second part (total zero)

oh :D thanks!

1. What is the problem with using the mean as a measure of central tendency?

The problem with using the mean as a measure of central tendency is that it is heavily influenced by extreme values, also known as outliers. This means that if there are a few values that are significantly larger or smaller than the rest of the data, the mean will be skewed and may not accurately represent the overall data.

2. How does the mean compare to other measures of central tendency?

The mean is just one of several measures of central tendency, which also include the median and mode. The median is the middle value when the data is arranged in numerical order, and the mode is the most frequently occurring value. Unlike the mean, the median and mode are not affected by extreme values and may be more appropriate to use in certain situations.

3. Can the problem with the mean be solved by removing outliers?

While removing outliers can help reduce the impact on the mean, it is not always the best solution. Outliers may be valid data points that provide important insights or may be due to measurement errors. It is important to carefully consider the reasons for outliers before deciding to remove them.

4. Are there any alternatives to using the mean as a measure of central tendency?

Yes, there are several alternatives to using the mean, such as using the median or mode as mentioned earlier. Another option is to use a trimmed mean, which involves removing a certain percentage of the highest and lowest values before calculating the mean. This can help reduce the impact of outliers while still taking into account the majority of the data.

5. How can the problem with the mean be addressed in statistical analysis?

To address the problem with the mean in statistical analysis, it is important to carefully examine the data and consider the presence of outliers. If outliers are present, it may be more appropriate to use alternative measures of central tendency or to use statistical methods that are less affected by extreme values, such as robust regression techniques.