Problem with this renormalize quantum theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of normalizing and renormalizing in quantum theory. The main question is why we are allowed to renormalize every function after finding the solution, and how we can be sure that we have found all existing solutions. The experts in the conversation explain that normalizing is a basic principle of quantum mechanics and it ensures that the solutions obey the laws of QM. It also helps to identify the physically acceptable solutions out of the infinite number of possibilities.
somy
Hi.
I have a problem with this quantum theory, that is going to make me crazy!:
Why we are allowed to renormalize every function after we find the solution.
I mean, how we are sure that we have found all the solution exists.
Thanks in advance.
Somy :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you talking about renormalizing or normalizing ?

You can normalize a wavefunction, and renormalize a field theory.

somy said:
Hi.
I have a problem with this quantum theory, that is going to make me crazy!:
I mean, how we are sure that we have found all the solution exists.
Thanks in advance.
Somy :smile:

Wavefunctions need to normalized in order to obey tha basic laws of QM. One of these laws is that if you square a wavefunction, you get a probabilty(eg : for finding a particle described by the wavefunction in some region). The maximal value of a probability is 1...

marlon

somy said:

As Gokul pointed out it's "normalize".It's the first principle of QM.It says why we mmust normalize the solutions.

I mean, how we are sure that we have found all the solution exists?

In general,the condition of normalization fixes the physically acceptable solutions out of the infinite number of solutions the Schrodinger equation can have...

Daniel.

1. What is renormalization in quantum theory?

Renormalization is a mathematical technique used in quantum field theory to remove the infinities that arise when trying to calculate the behavior of particles at extremely small distance scales. It involves scaling certain parameters in the theory to make the calculations more manageable.

2. Why is there a problem with renormalizing quantum theory?

The problem with renormalizing quantum theory is that it leads to non-renormalizable theories, which means that the calculations cannot be extended to all distance scales. This indicates a limitation in our current understanding of quantum physics.

3. How does renormalization affect our understanding of the universe?

Renormalization plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe, as it allows us to make accurate predictions about the behavior of particles at different energy scales. Without it, our calculations would be plagued with infinite values and would not accurately reflect the physical reality of our universe.

4. Can renormalization be applied to all quantum theories?

No, not all quantum theories can be renormalized. Theories that are renormalizable have a finite number of parameters that can be scaled, while non-renormalizable theories have an infinite number of parameters and cannot be fully renormalized. This is a major challenge in the field of quantum physics.

5. How are scientists working to solve the problem with renormalization in quantum theory?

Scientists are constantly researching and developing new techniques to deal with the problem of non-renormalizable theories. Some approaches include using effective field theories or string theory, which may help to better understand the underlying principles of quantum physics and potentially provide a solution to the problem of renormalization.