Problem with this trig identity

In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to solve a physics problem involving coupled oscillators. They are looking for a trig identity to help them solve the problem but are having trouble deriving it. The conversation also includes suggestions for two possible trig identities that could be helpful.
mcah5
I ran into this trig identity trying to do my physics hw:

a*cos(s)+b*cos(t)

I tried deriving it using an analogous approach to deriving the product-sum trig identity, but ran into problems. I was wondering if this trig identity exists, or if I should just try to find some clever way to solve the physics problem without the trig identity.

Physics news on Phys.org
In order to have a trig identity you must have an equal sign! What is that expression supposed to equal?

Edit2: Never mind, found another way without the blasted trig identity.

That's the problem, I don't know the identity, I was trying to derive it but ran into problems. I was wondering if there was a common name for the identity so I could google for it.

Edit: The problem I'm trying to solve is "Prove that superimposing initial conditions will lead to the superposition of of the corresponding motion of coupled oscillators." So basically, I'm trying to show that for the coupled equations

\frac {d^2x} {dt^2] = ax+by
\frac {d^2y} {dt^2} = cx+dy

that for the a solution x and y with initial conditions [tex]x_0,y_0,\dot {x_0},\dot {y_0}[/tex] is the superposition of two other solutions where the initial conditions add up to the original initial conditions. After a bunch of math, I need to show that:

a*cos(s+t) = b*cos(s+u)+c*cos(s+v) where a,s,t,b,s,u,c,v are a bunch of random constants

A trig identity for a*cos(s)+b*cos(t) would help solve this problem

Last edited:
Maybe you're looking for one of these two ?

cos(a-b) + cos(a+b) = 2 cos(a) cos(b)

or

a cos(t) + b sin(t) = sqrt(a^2 + b^2) cos( t - arctan(b/a))

1. What is a trig identity?

A trig identity is a mathematical equation that relates trigonometric functions to each other. It is used to simplify and solve more complex equations involving trigonometric functions.

2. Why is there a problem with this trig identity?

There could be a problem with a trig identity if it does not hold true for all values of the variables involved. This could be due to a mistake in the derivation of the identity or limitations on the values of the variables.

3. How do you solve a problem with a trig identity?

To solve a problem with a trig identity, you can check the derivation for any mistakes and make corrections if necessary. You can also substitute different values for the variables to see if the identity holds true for all possible values.

4. Can a problem with a trig identity affect my calculations?

Yes, if there is a problem with a trig identity, it can affect your calculations and lead to incorrect results. It is important to identify and correct any problems with trig identities to ensure accurate calculations.

5. What are some common trig identities that have problems?

Some common trig identities that may have problems include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and sum and difference identities. These identities may have limitations on the values of the variables or may not hold true for certain values.