1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with TI-86 screen

1. Sep 8, 2008 #1
    Hi,

I don't know if this is the right place, but I figured there'd be people here who know a thing or two about the said calculator model. My TI-86 is and old one (ca. 5 years). I didn't use it in the summer, and when I took it out again, there were multiple dead lines on the LCD screen. Is this a common problem with a calculator as old as mine? Can I do anything about it?

Thanks for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2008 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try replacing the battery first. If the problem persists, there's nothing that you will be able to do about it -- at least not without some pretty serious electrical engineering experience.

- Warren

4. Sep 8, 2008 #3
    i'd go for chroot's solution. if that fails, try this:
    i have a TI-86 as well and sometimes it gives me strangely colored lines, but when u rub them a bit it goes away. same thing with defect PC monitor pixels.

if even THAT fails, use the ANCIENT METHOD:

HIT ON IT!

- less than 5% chance on wooden and simple plastic objects
    - 5-25% chance on complex plastic objects (like beach chairs)
    - 25-50% chance on mechanisms (like sophisticated toy cars and bycicles)
    - 50% + CHANCE on ALL ELECTRONICS (except Microsoft. they fail anyway :p )

~Joris

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?