Solve Ubuntu Connection Refusal Problem

• Thread starter heartless
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ubuntu
In summary, the Ubuntu connection refusal problem occurs when a user is unable to establish a connection to a network or internet on their Ubuntu operating system. This can be caused by a variety of factors such as incorrect network configurations, firewall settings, or hardware issues. To solve this problem, users can try troubleshooting their network settings, disabling the firewall, or updating their network drivers. Additionally, using the command line to reset network settings or reinstalling the network manager can also resolve the issue.
heartless
I've installed Ubuntu few hours ago, and I'm getting quite silly problem.
When I use firefox and put in any website, I get, "The connection was refused when attempting to contact google.com (any website) Every other thing seems to be fine, I can ping hosts, update and download stuff using wget. Router logs doesn't show any traces of connection refusal. Help!

Computer science news on Phys.org
heartless said:
I've installed Ubuntu few hours ago, and I'm getting quite silly problem.
When I use firefox and put in any website, I get, "The connection was refused when attempting to contact google.com (any website) Every other thing seems to be fine, I can ping hosts, update and download stuff using wget. Router logs doesn't show any traces of connection refusal. Help!

Is it just firefox, or all browsers?

All I have, but not all that are. I tried links and lynx and I'm getting the same thing. I couldn't try Opera, because Opera.com, as far as I know, doesn't provide direct links for browser download.

Ok, so you have an internet connection, but http traffic isn't getting through.

Do you have an iptables script running?

yeah, I have an internet connection. I'm on Ubuntu now. I realized that it isn't that http traffic doesn't go at all, (I can visit pf now) but for example I go on google, and it's ok. I close firefox, open again and again go on google, and I receive connection refused. So it's sort of crazy situation where I can visit some websites and then cannot, and then can again... I don't use router firewall and I'm without working iptables now.

ok, it works. I changed dns servers in resolv.conf on the dns's provided by ISP.

heh, that was my guess, but you were fast enough...
and you can download opera directly from their site...

What is the "Connection Refusal" problem in Ubuntu?

The "Connection Refusal" problem in Ubuntu is when a user is unable to establish a connection to a server or network, usually due to a combination of network settings and software configuration.

What are the common causes of the Ubuntu Connection Refusal problem?

There are several common causes of the Ubuntu Connection Refusal problem, including incorrect network settings, firewall restrictions, and issues with the server or network itself.

How can I troubleshoot the Ubuntu Connection Refusal problem?

To troubleshoot the Ubuntu Connection Refusal problem, you can start by checking your network settings, ensuring that your firewall is not blocking the connection, and verifying that the server or network is functioning properly. You can also try restarting your computer or resetting your network settings.

Is there a specific command or tool I can use to fix the Ubuntu Connection Refusal problem?

There is not a specific command or tool to fix the Ubuntu Connection Refusal problem, as it can have various causes. However, you can use the built-in network troubleshooting tools in Ubuntu or consult online resources for specific solutions based on your specific situation.

How can I prevent the Ubuntu Connection Refusal problem in the future?

To prevent the Ubuntu Connection Refusal problem in the future, you can regularly check your network settings and make sure they are correct, keep your firewall settings up to date, and ensure that your server or network is properly maintained. It is also a good idea to regularly update your Ubuntu software to ensure that any known issues have been resolved.