Calculating Shear Stress in a Fluid Flow with Varying Velocity Profile

• Thread starter jdawg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary: I'm not familiar with the problem. So, I don't know what that formula is.In summary, the problem involves finding the shear stress at a given point in a fluid with a known velocity profile, dynamic viscosity, and pressure gradient. The attempted solution used an incorrect formula, but eventually the correct formula was determined to be: τ(y) = μ(∂u/∂y), where μ is the dynamic viscosity and u is the velocity profile. The resulting shear stress value was 0.5344 Pa.
jdawg

Homework Statement

The velocity profile between two plates separated by a distance, h=2 {m}, has a flow distribution given by:

1%257D%257B2%255Cmu%257D%255Cfrac%257Bdp%257D%257Bdx%257D%255Cleft%2528y%255E2-hy%255Cright%2529.png

The dynamic viscosity of the fluid is given as 1.5E-1 {Pa s}. The upper wall is moving at velocity u0 of 7 {m/s}. The pressure gradient dp/dx is -0.015 {Pa/m}. Find the shear stress at y=0.8 {m}.

Input your answer to in {N/m2} or {Pa} to four decimal places.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like this problem should be just plug and chug, but my units aren't working out to be in Pa.
u(0.8m)=(7m/s)(0.8m/2m)+(1/(2*(1.5E-1)Pa*s))(-0.015Pa/m)((0.8m)2-1.6m2)
I keep getting 2.85 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
jdawg said:

Homework Statement

The velocity profile between two plates separated by a distance, h=2 {m}, has a flow distribution given by:

1%257D%257B2%255Cmu%257D%255Cfrac%257Bdp%257D%257Bdx%257D%255Cleft%2528y%255E2-hy%255Cright%2529.png

The dynamic viscosity of the fluid is given as 1.5E-1 {Pa s}. The upper wall is moving at velocity u0 of 7 {m/s}. The pressure gradient dp/dx is -0.015 {Pa/m}. Find the shear stress at y=0.8 {m}.

Input your answer to in {N/m2} or {Pa} to four decimal places.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like this problem should be just plug and chug, but my units aren't working out to be in Pa.
u(0.8m)=(7m/s)(0.8m/2m)+(1/(2*(1.5E-1)Pa*s))(-0.015Pa/m)((0.8m)2-1.6m2)
I keep getting 2.85 m/s
Remember u(y) is the velocity profile of the fluid, not the shear stress, so units of m/s are consistent.

What is the formula for shear stress in a fluid?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shear_stress

Likes jdawg
Ohh ok! I guess I should've read the question a little more closely. Did you end up with 0.5344 Pa?

jdawg said:
Ohh ok! I guess I should've read the question a little more closely. Did you end up with 0.5344 Pa?
I didn't solve the problem. I merely noted that you had confused the formula for the velocity profile with the formula for shear stress.

Oh ok, do you think that the value I got is reasonable?

jdawg said:
Oh ok, do you think that the value I got is reasonable?
I have no idea without solving the problem myself.

Since you have apparently done the work, why don't you post it?

τ(y)=μ(u/y)
τ(y)=(1.5E-1 Pa*s)((2.85 m/s)/(0.8m))=0.5344 Pa

jdawg said:
τ(y)=μ(u/y)
This doesn't seem to be the formula for shear stress in a fluid. What happened to the ∂u/∂y, which is not the same as u/y ?
τ(y)=(1.5E-1 Pa*s)((2.85 m/s)/(0.8m))=0.5344 Pa
Need to use the correct formula here.

Likes Chestermiller

1. What is a problem with units?

A problem with units refers to an inconsistency or error in the use or conversion of units of measurement. This can lead to incorrect calculations and potentially misleading results.

2. Why is it important to use the correct units?

Using the correct units is crucial in scientific research as it ensures accuracy and allows for proper comparison and replication of results. It also helps to communicate findings effectively to others.

3. How can I avoid problems with units?

To avoid problems with units, it is important to understand the units of measurement being used and to double-check all conversions and calculations. It is also helpful to use standard units and to use unit conversions when necessary.

4. What are some common mistakes made with units?

Some common mistakes made with units include using the wrong unit of measurement, forgetting to convert between units, and using non-standard units. In addition, using different units for the same variable in different parts of a calculation can also lead to errors.

5. What are the consequences of not using units correctly?

The consequences of not using units correctly can range from minor errors in calculations to major discrepancies in results. Inaccurate use of units can also lead to misinterpretation of data and potentially harm the credibility of a study or experiment.