Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with vector operator

1. Oct 18, 2013 #1
    Why do we use the coordinates of r in terms of x,y,z?Why dont we express coordinates of A in x,y,z?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

A is expressed in terms of x y and z.

4. Oct 18, 2013 #3

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's a matter of notation: we're just giving names to the three components of both vectors.
    You can replace them by ##r_1, r_2, r_3##, if that makes you feel any better. In general, if v is a vector, it is customary to denote its components by v1, v2, v3. However, if r is the position vector, then (x, y, z) is also quite common.

Also note that though the fact that one is named r hints that it comes from a physical application in which a position vector is involved, the mathematical identity actually holds for any two vectors u, v.

5. Oct 18, 2013 #4
    No its not..here at least

6. Oct 18, 2013 #5
    If we use r1,r2,r3 then how would the vector operator operator operate on it?Like it didnt in A when we used A1,A2,A3.

7. Oct 18, 2013 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What are you talking about?

8. Oct 18, 2013 #7

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'm sorry - the example in your attachment very clearly states that

A=A1i+A2j+A3k

That means that
    - the x component of A is A1,
    - the y component of A is A2,
    - the z component of A is A3.

Therefore: A is resolved in terms of x, y, and z.

What did you think it meant?

9. Oct 18, 2013 #8

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't understand your question, I think.

If ##\mathbf v = v_1 \mathbf i + v_2 \mathbf j + v_3 \mathbf k## and ##\mathbf u = u_1 \mathbf i + u_2 \mathbf j + u_3 \mathbf k## then
    $$\mathbf u \times \mathbf v = (u_2 v_3 - u_3 v_2) \mathbf i + (u_3 v_1 - u_1 v_3) \mathbf j + (u_1 v_3 - u_3 v_1) \mathbf k$$

That's just how the cross product works. It doesn't matter how you call the components. You could replace ##u_1##, ##u_2## and ##u_3## by ##x##, ##y## and ##z## or clubs, spades, hearts or bunny, cow, eagle and the definition would still be the same.

Is it the notation of a vector like##\mathbf v = v_1 \mathbf i + v_2 \mathbf j + v_3 \mathbf k## instead of ##\mathbf v = (v_1, v_2, v_3)## that confuses you?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook